Chapter 1: Almost Fifty Grand

He sat there smoking his cigarette.

"We're falling behind." said Doc.

All the men at the table listened carefully.

Killian stared at the table as he smoked.

"Why is that?"
"It started last year." answered Waylon. "We gave away a lot of loans. Twelve around the same time. Nine of them still owe. I have a list in here somewhere." He started rummaging through his folders.

The mob's accountant.

"Then go get it." Killian instructed.
They all looked at him but he didn't lift his head while he smoked.

"Some of the guys are away on trip. Due to the expansion...sir..." Kolson replied.
Killian redirected his eyes towards him and removed his cigarette. He blew out the smoke.
"I'll go. I've been bored in here anyway." he joked without a smile. "I'll get one just to get out. The rest of you will get the other eight."
"Yes, sir..." they all responded.

Kanan turned his head to Doc. "Sir, club business may also be why we're down. They say they want girls. We only have the ones in Club 1."
"Then why didn't you get girls?" Doc asked.
"I just...figured I had to run it by you first. To make sure it was alright."
"If it's bringing me money...why the fuck do you think I'd be telling you not to do it?"
"Yes, sir. We'll get on it." Kanan nodded.

"Here's the list." Waylon slid the paper on the table to Killian. "It's filled with their names, home addresses, phone numbers, and the amount that they owe. Also their ages."
Killian slid the piece of paper closer to himself.

He read over the list.

Donovan Sylvia- 43 years old; $57,000; 2560 Napoleon Dr., Apt. 104; (xxx) 752-3980
Mark Hunter- 52 years old; $89,500; 341 Washington Ave.; (xxx) 689-2223
Denise Waters- 47 years old; $45,660; 233 Dixon Dr.; (xxx) 698-1225
Ronny Paulson- 61 years old; $97,500; 801 Polk Ave., Apt. 32; (xxx) 771-0909
Luis Gonzales- 53 years old; $23,000; 1014 Pall St. Apt. 115; (xxx) 987-2556
Rodrick Free- 37 years old; $76,000; 111 Maple Ave.; (xxx) 767-8151
Steven Yu- 56 years old; $43,650; 221 Main St. Apt. 112; (xxx) 999-0120
Lonnie King- 72 years old; $75,050; 245 Dixon Dr.; (xxx) 326-7790
David Nix- 46 years old; $90,200; 801 Taft St. Apt. 201; (xxx) 451-2626

Over half a million.

"Live in some rough neighborhoods." Killian thought aloud.

His eyes caught the middle aged woman written on the list.

"I'm takin' Denise." he stated.
He slid the paper to the middle of the table so everyone could read it.
Doc spoke up. "I want that money here by tomorrow."
Killian stood and stripped his suit jacket off of the back of his seat.
He took the last hit of his cigarette then stuck it into the ashtray. "I'll be back." He walked off while putting on his suit jacket.

~•~

Killian sat in the backseat of the car with one henchman driving and the other in the passenger seat. They rode on their way to Denise's house.

Killian liked older women. Not for any sexual reason, they were just usually cleaner and less likely to make him angry. Also sometimes they offer him coffee or tea.

Maurice parallel parked in front of one of the homes on the street.

Killian looked at the house.
It wasn't the worse they've seen. And what could he expect from someone that had to borrow money from a loan shark?

The men began to get out.

"Stay out here. Women scare easily." Killian stated. The men followed directions as he walked up the steps.