Chapter 53: You're Too Kind

Tati had finished dinner a while ago and ate it alone after Killian had left the house.

She was washing her plate and utensils when she heard the door open. She didn't turn to see him. She tried her hardest to remain focused on cleaning, in fact she cleaned slower than before to make sure she didn't finish too quickly.

Killian stood there after changing his shoes. He just stared at her for a few seconds while her back was turned to him. Then he looked down.
At the bouquet of flowers in his hand.

He sighed then walked over to her.

Tati looked at what it was that caught her eye from the corner of it.
She saw a pretty bouquet. She turned more and looked up at Killian who stood behind her staring back.

"It's for you." he stated.
She rinsed her plate off all the way then placed it down to dry.
She turned to face him and grabbed the bouquet. "Why...?" she wondered.
He shrugged. "Wanted to."
She looked at them.
He watched her snicker a little.
"Random. But they're really pretty." she smiled as she awed at the vibrant bouquet wrapped in a silk bow.
He stared at her while she stared at her gift.

"Um...Thank you." She looked at him.
"Yea."
"I finished dinner a while ago. It's just a risotto dish and pork chops."
He nodded.
"I hope it's still good even though you have to microwave it. If it's not and you want something else, just tell me. It's fine."
"Alright."
She nodded.
Both of them stood there awkwardly until Tati finally just left the kitchen and headed to her room.
Killian watched her leave then stared up at the ceiling and groaned.

He grabbed a plate to fix his dinner.

Tati looked at the bouquet of flowers again as she sat on her bed. She really did think they were pretty. Admired them for minutes before she realized they'd need water and a vase then hurried back to the kitchen.

She entered the kitchen and saw Killian already halfway done with his meal. She went into his kitchen drawer and grabbed the pair of scissors.
Killian watched her while he ate. She began snipping the ends of the flower stems.

"What're you doing?" he asked and chewed.
"I'm just getting them ready to be put in water." she stated and started rummaging through his cabinets.

She found a tall glass and figured it would have to be good enough.

She turned on the sink and let the water fill it halfway then placed the flowers inside.

"That's better..." she smiled.

Killian finished his plate then looked. She cutely adjusted the flowers in the glass as they sat on his kitchen counter. He walked over to put his plate in the sink.

Tati looked at him.
"Is this why you left the house?" she asked.
"Yea."
She just stared at him.
"You like flowers." he remembered.
"I do." she agreed.
He gave her a nod then headed towards his stairs to go to his room.
Tati looked back at her bouquet.

~•~

Killian was getting out of the shower the next morning when his phone rang.

"Hello?" he greeted. He placed it on speaker so he could find clothes without hassle. He grabbed pants first.
"We think it was Stone." Silas stated.
Killian slid on his pants then removed a dress shirt off of one of his hangers. "Is that so?"
"Stone was checked into the hospital the day Martin said she and that other detective got a call from an anonymous source. We figured Stone was the most likely since he's a big name and his injuries were visibly not an accident. Doctors said he looked like he'd been jumped."
"You tell my uncle?" Killian asked as he buttoned his shirt.
"Yes, sir. He told us to tell you."
"Tell Kolson to meet me at Stone's office in an hour."
"Yes, sir."

Killian walked to the phone then hung up.

He grabbed his switchblade off of his nightstand then placed it into his pocket. He found a belt and suit jacket then began to leave his room.

Tati was in the kitchen already.
She'd made omelets and bacon.

Killian walked over to her while she prepared the plates.

She turned around and jumped, Killian grabbed the plate just in case she'd drop it.
"Sorry." he stated.
"You've gotta stop doing that." she said with a racing heartbeat. She let go of the plate.
He took the plate then went into his fridge for a bottle of water.
Tati grabbed her plate and water too then both of them went to the table to eat.

"Will you be gone all day or should I make lunch too?" she asked as they sat.
"I won't be back in time."
She nodded.

They sat there quietly. Eating in silence.

Killian looked at her. She just faced her plate and ate.

He looked back at his plate.
"Did you want to continue your pool lesson?" he asked.
She looked at him.
He still looked at his plate.
"We can..." she agreed.

They both ate again.

"When's your birthday?" Tati asked randomly.
He looked at her.
She looked at him.
"Why?" he wondered.
"I'm just curious."
"August 8th."
She snickered.
"What?" he asked.
"Nothing. You being a Leo just makes a lot of sense." She continued to eat.
"You believe in that stuff?" he asked.
"Yea."
"What're you?"
"Guess."
"I don't know all of 'em."
"Then how would you understand if I told you?" she asked.
"I just wanna know."
"Which ones do you know?" she wondered and smiled curiously.
"Leo...Cancer...uh...that scorpion one."
"Scorpio?"
"Yea. And the long one."
"Which long one?"
"It's something about water. Aqua something."
"Aquarius." she answered. He nodded and finished his plate.
"I'm none of those."
"How many are there?"
"Twelve."
"That's too many."
Tati laughed.

"What're you?" he asked again and sipped his water.
"April 7th. I'm an Aries." She took another bite of her food.
"The god?"
"Huh?"
"There's a god with that name. Ares."
"I didn't know that." she stated.
"God of war."
"Do you like mythology?" she wondered and ate her last bite.
"I studied it when I was younger."
"Hm."
"Does you being an Aries make sense?" he wondered.
She snickered. "I don't know. You find out and tell me." She took both of their plates and walked to the sink.
He looked at her.

He took another sip of his water before standing up and grabbing his suit jacket.

Tati washed the plates.
Killian walked over to her and stood behind.
"I'll be back in a few hours."
She heard his low voice close to her ear and froze for a second then continued to rinse the plate's soap off.
"Okay."
"Do you need anything?"
She snickered. "I'm supposed to be kidnapped."
"I'm being too nice aren't I?"
"For a loan shark, yes."
"Mm. I'll have to get my act together." He wrapped his hand gently around her neck and pulled her face to him before kissing her cheek and walking off.
Tati froze again.

She blinked like she was trying to understand what just happened then heard the door open and shut behind him.

She looked back down at the plate she'd cleaned then set it to the side to grab the next one.