Chapter 47: When You Were Young

"Like...?"
"Do you ever think something positive? Regarding me. Or is it all assuming that I'm going to do something terrible to you soon?"
"Um..."
She looked down in thought.
"Well I have positive thoughts on you. Like I think it's cute when you like something I wouldn't expect you to. I think you're handsome. I think you're funny. I think you have really good taste."
Killian finished buttoning his shirt up to the second button as she spoke.

This wasn't doing anything for him. He for some reason didn't care and he didn't know why. She admitted to finding him attractive, he felt like that should make him smug.
But he was upset she didn't list one other thing.

"Personal question." Tati began.
He looked up at her after tucking his shirt in.
"What was it like when you were growing up?" she wondered.
"Why do you want to know that?" he questioned.
"I can ask whatever I want. I chose that."
He thought about it.

"My parents died. I spent around a year in an orphanage before I was taken in by my uncle. I was a bad kid. Not horrible but I hated the other kids. I'd do something but only if they approached me. I hated when they tried to talk to me." He tried to think of what else. "I was homeschooled. My uncle got the best teachers he could find. I was put in a lot of fighting classes. From six to nineteen. When I wasn't doing schoolwork I was taught how our business worked. Starting at eight."
"Like what?"
"Like..." He thought about each lesson he learned. "How to shoot a gun. How to fight someone twice my size. How to use a knife. The money. How to do something so well illegally that it could make someone think it was legal. Or how to get free if I was ever kidnapped. I had to practice breaking out of a trunk or a basement once a month for three years and would get taken by the employees, and they never told me when it would happen."
Tati stared wide eyed.
"Took care of my aunt. Learned pool, poker, how to smoke a cigar, how to drink. I can get drunk but I'm not a stupid drunk. I can walk in a straight line and drive."
"You drive drunk?"
He stared at her. Then ignored the question. "No girlfriend. I wasn't around that many women. I lost my virginity because the guys under my uncle said it was about that time. Most of the 22 was after that first time. I've gone a few years without getting laid at all."
She was even more shocked by that.
"I know you don't believe that but the job keeps me busy and again I'm not always around women. Most of you think I'm a whore. I'm a slut. I'm not a whore. I like fucking but I don't just do it with anybody. And I have a fear of catching an STD. I take cleanliness very seriously."
She snickered.
"How was that funny?" he asked.
"I just still think your level of cleanliness is cute. Not wanting an STD is normal obviously but you're really a neat freak."
"Hm."
"Did something happen that made you hate dirt as much as you do?"
"The orphanage was dirty. I spent a year living with bugs and mice."
She nodded in understanding.
"My aunt died around the same time I found out my parents were murdered by someone they trusted. He's dead now."
"Do you think-..." She cut herself off.
"Do I think what?"
"Nothing." She figured it wasn't her job to play therapist.
He accepted. "That's all I remember. I don't know much of my childhood."
Tati nodded.

"Are you still mad at me?" she asked.
He looked at her. If he thought about it he figured he could see why she thought he'd done it. He looked down. "No."
She felt at ease and stood up.

Even though he'd forgiven her, he still felt like she didn't actually believe he wouldn't do anything to her.
He wished he stopped caring that much.
Usually he wouldn't bat an eye at anyone who said they hated him or believed he was a piece of shit. He didn't care if somebody was scared of him. But he was so mad that she didn't have faith in him. He wanted her to be comfortable with him...for some reason.

"Can we...do something tonight?" Tati asked.
Killian looked at her.
"All I do is cook and sit in the room all day. I'm kind of bored."
"I'm not letting you drink."
"I'm not a bad drunk! You wake up next to a loan shark missing your pants and tell me you don't think something's a little fucking off!"
He chuckled at her sudden sass about it.
She quickly goes from feeling bad to 'fuck you' and he finds it funny and cute.

"What do you want to do?" he asked.
"I don't know. Maybe watch a movie or something?"
"No. There's a pool table and bar in the basement."
"You have a pool table too?!"
He just stared at her.
"This house gets better the longer I'm in it."
"You know how to play?" he questioned.
"No but I've played before...You'll teach me." She smiled sweetly.
He scoffed. "Sounds like you're gonna watch a movie." He walked towards the door to head downstairs. Tati followed.
"No! I'd rather pool. It looks like so much fun! Just teach me! I'm a fast learner I swear. Don't be a dick."
He laughed as they walked down the stairs. "You calling me a name and asking for my help in three seconds is bullshit."
She rolled her eyes. "I'm sorry. Now can you?"
"I don't know, work for it."
They headed towards the kitchen.
"Work for it? Don't I already cook your food three times a day? That's work enough! You're really ungrateful."
"That's so you don't have to live in the office for the next five months. Try again." He grabbed his plate of steak and eggs, took off the silverware then put it in the microwave.
"Pretty please?" Tati begged.
"No."
"What do you want from me?!" she groaned.
He thought about it.

His plate was done in the microwave and he took it out.

He looked at Tati. His finger gestured for her to come closer.
She walked over to him.
He lowered his head and tapped his cheek with his finger.
She stared at him. He acted like he was waiting.
She sighed and leaned in to kiss his cheek.

Her lips bounced against the soft skin and she looked at him.
"I expected you to do that thing where you turn your head to kiss me."
"Sounds like you just hoped I'd kiss you." He smiled and ate a piece of the eggs before he walked off to the table.
"Whatever." she scoffed with a snicker. "Does this mean you'll teach me now?"
He sat down to prepare to eat. "Yea, baby. I'll teach you." he promised.
She smiled softly.

"Are you not going to eat?" Killian interrupted her joy.
"Oh. Yea." She took the second plate to put it in the microwave.
"It's good." Killian admitted.
"Even though you had to put it in the microwave?"
"Yes." He took another bite.
"Thank you. But I'm sure it would've taste better fresh."
"I would have had it fresh if you weren't an asshole." he stated.
Tati gasped.
Killian chuckled and continued eating.