Chapter 33: Suddenness

Tati woke up thanks to the sun brightly shining through the large wall of glass to the side of her.

She turned and saw through it at the far off mountain ranges, birds and butterflies.
Killian didn't strike her as a man who liked gentle nature. But around his home was beautiful.

She noticed there was a bit of concrete poking out in the side of the view out of her window. She got up to see what it was.

She gasped and ran out of the room to find him.

She expected him to be in the kitchen at this time, most people would be making breakfast or coffee but he was no where.
"Damn it..." she sighed.

She heard a car door close. Then walked over to one of the windows.
She saw him walking towards the door, unwrapping his other hand with the use of the recently unwrapped one.

Once both of them were free, his hands reached for the collar of his shirt and she watched him pulled it off over his head.

Tati stared at the toned body as he got closer. Then she panicked and backed away from the door to run to her room.

Killian walked in and kicked his shoes off. He went to the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water then cracked it open and drank. He headed upstairs to take a shower.

Tati sat on the bed, staring with wide eyes.
She'd seen the silhouette of his body before when she saw him in a compression shirt but seeing him without a shirt at all was completely different.
He was so much bigger than she thought he was when he was in a suit. Broader than she realized. And he wasn't even flexing which made her curious.
She sighed and tried to forget about it, so she went to her bathroom to shower and brush her teeth.

~•~

Doc sat in his office waiting patiently for the arrival of the uninvited guests.

He took out a small case from his desk drawer then popped it open. Inside were six Cuban cigars.

"Sir, they're here." said the intercom connecting the lounge to his office.
Doc snipped the end of his cigar.
He pressed the button on his desk. "I'll be down in a minute." he stated.
"Yes, sir."
He lit his cigar and took a deep inhale.

He sat there, leaning back in his seat as he blew out his smoke.

"Segal, you fucking idiot." he sighed.
He stood up and walked out of his office, cigar between his teeth.

He figured he'd be free within two days since they wouldn't find any evidence. Then he and Killian would have the plan to take down Segal. Because he was tired.

He got out of the elevator on the lobby floor and saw detectives and a few members of the swat team behind them.
He thought that was dramatic.

"You lookin' for me?" he asked and blew out his cigar smoke.
"Yes, sir. Please put your hands behind your back. You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law." said Detective Park as he began to walk over.
Doc held his finger up.
Park stopped, curiously.
"I ain't goin' anywhere 'til I finish this." Doc stated and put his cigar back between his teeth.

He walked over to one of the seats in the lobby. They watched him sit down and picked up one of the newspapers as he smoked.

Detective Park looked at his partner who just stared back in confusion.

Doc continued to read and smoke.

~•~

Tati left the bathroom feeling clean and walked out to find something to eat. Last night Killian visibly liked her cooking since he ate the entire plate in five minutes after she had to keep swearing it wasn't poisoned.

She walked into the kitchen and heard him coming down the stairs.

"You have a pool." she stated.
He looked up from buttoning his cuffs. "Yea."
"Can I swim in it...?" she asked.
"Aren't you supposed to be kidnapped?" he mocked. "You aren't supposed to have fun. You aren't supposed to be out of your room."
"Come on, don't be an asshole."
"You already think I'm an asshole, why would I stop now?" He took out a plastic container and Tati read that it was protein powder.
"Are you gonna use that against me the entire time I'm here?" she asked and watched him take out a gallon of milk.
"Mm." he grunted.
She rolled her eyes.

And when she looked back at him she saw him toss back a scoop of protein powder into his mouth then open the milk and drink it to help get the powder down.
"Are you insane?" she asked.
"What?" he asked after swallowing.
"Why the fuck did you do that?"
"You wanted me to make some cutesy drink?"
"There's no way that was healthy."
"Tell me something you've seen me do that was healthy."
She started to think on it.

"You drink water." she mentioned.
"Because I like getting my dick sucked."
Tati's eyes widened in shock.
Killian hadn't flinched at his words.
"Well...working out is healthy. You do that."
"Because I want you to have to use a gun in order to kill me."
"Oh my god, what is wrong with you?"
He chuckled. "I was kidding."
"Oh..."
"I drink water for health."
"Wait..."
"Did you eat already?" he interrupted her.
"No, I was going to make something. You don't have that many ingredients though."
"I told you I don't cook."
"You just eat junk food and protein powder?"
"No, someone cooks for me. But he's out of town."
"Where'd he go?"
"A hospital for kids. His daughter has cancer."
Tati's eyes widened. "You can't say things like that so nonchalantly! Is she okay?!"
"How would I know that?"
She stared glaring at him.
He looked at her. "You're annoyed with me."
"UH HUH!" she yelled.
He put away his protein powder and milk.

"You suck." she shook her head.
He looked at her.
"I'm sorry. I'm trying to start being nicer to you because you aren't abusing me but you just make that so hard sometimes."
"Do you want to go get groceries?" he asked her and ignored everything else.
"Yes."
"You'll only be here a week so don't get a bunch of bullshit." he stated and walked towards the door.
Tati followed. "Wouldn't your chef need groceries when he comes back anyway?"
"It'll be a while before then. He'll be gone until she starts recovering. Which could be months."
"Oh..."
They left the house and walked towards the car.

"What will you do?" Tati wondered.
"I don't know."
They got in the luxury car and Tati was in awe yet again as Killian drove out of the driveway.

~•~

"Mr. Cermak, we have evidence to believe you are behind the assassination of President Johnson."
"What evidence?" Doc asked.
"Doesn't your nephew work for you as well?"
"Tell you what, I'll answer your questions when you answer mine. What evidence?" Doc restated.
Detective Park sighed. "This would go smoother if you cooperate."
"You'd get the answers you want...once you answer my question, hm? Now I'll ask you again! What fuckin' evidence?" Doc stared the detective in his eyes.
"Evidence from individuals who say they know what you did and are close enough to you to know the details."
"Mm. Yea, I have a nephew."
"Was your brother in on it too?"
"That some kind of sick joke?" Doc asked.
"I heard you two were close."
"Then you also heard what happened to him. Don't fuck with me, bitch."
"He's dead?" Park asked.
Doc looked down at the table.

Park only asked the question to see if Doc would be honest.

He opened up the Manila folder he was given and began to look through it.
"You took custody of your nephew when he was only five."
Doc didn't respond.
"You show him the mob lifestyle?"
"What mob?" Doc asked and looked up at Park.
Park stared in his eyes. If Doc was lying, he was damn good at it. Even his eyes showed confusion like he was a top tier actor.
Park sighed and looked back through the folder.

"You fell off the radar around the time your brother passed. People stopped seeing you around. Adopted your nephew a year later. Why'd it take you so long?"
"What does this have to do with that President getting assassinated?"
Although the assassination was technically what Doc was there for, Park wanted evidence of all of his wrongdoings before then.
"Just protocol. Making conversation." he answered.
Doc didn't answer the previous question.
"The boy used to cause a lot of problems at the orphanage for a four year old."
Again Doc was quiet.
"Do you know where he is now? Has zero listings of schooling after that. Just fell off like his father."
"He was homeschooled." Doc answered.
"But where is he...now?" Park restated.
Doc shrugged. "I don't know. Call him and ask."

"The cause of your brother's death isn't on file. Wanna tell me what happened?"
Doc looked up at him. "I don't know. Get to the point."