Chapter 43: Personally

The pair walked around the store with Tati leading the way and Killian following closely behind. Half of the cart was full already and they were still looking for more.

They made it to the dessert aisle and Tati knew she had to grab a lot.

Killian watched as she grabbed baking ingredients and new pans.
"What're you going to make?" he asked.
"It's a surprise. Hush."
He rolled his eyes.

"Personal question. Did your aunt used to bake desserts for you?" Tati asked.
"Yea."
She nodded as she looked down the aisle for something she was missing.
"Why did you ask?"
"Because you just don't seem like you'd like desserts. And you do some other things because of her, I just wanted to know if that was one of them."
"Hm."

She saw the missing ingredient and walked to go grab it.

Killian stared at the icing flavors with his hands in his pockets. One of them fumbling with the switchblade he kept on him at all times.

"Okay," Tati returned and Killian turned around to look at her. "I just need a few more things and then we can go."
The cart was piled high as they walked around a bit longer.

"Did you buy your groceries when your chef was around?" Tati asked.
"No. He had a work card that he used and bought it on his own. I only bring you because I'm not letting you drive my car."
"Fair enough. But I'm a very safe driver. I wouldn't crash it."
That wasn't why he wouldn't let her. He began to realize she was getting comfortable enough that she forgot what she was doing with him to begin with. Did he have to remind her that she's collateral?
Anything that could help her escape was off the table. Even when he left the house with her there, he took every set of car keys he had with him.

Killian's phone rang.
He took it out of his pocket and answered.
"Yea?"
"Where are you?" Doc asked.
"I'm at the store. Why?"
"Segal is gonna get put under investigation. I want you to find out who he told to run their mouth about us. You're gonna find out what he knows."
"Alright."
"I want it done by next week."
"Yea."
Doc hung up the phone.

"Okay, I'm done." Tati stated.
Killian looked at the cart. It was completely full.
"Are you feeding a football team?" he asked.
"You eat like one, so maybe."
He rolled his eyes.
She began to push the cart and had to use her entire body because of the weight of it.
Two more hands held onto the bar and the cart moved like it weighed nothing.
She looked up and behind herself only to see Killian pushing the cart nonchalantly with her between his arms.
"I don't need your help. It's not that heavy." she sassed.
"I'm not worried about you needing help, you were taking too long. I'm hungry."
She rolled her eyes and just let him walk them to the check out line.

~•~

The two arrived back at the house and Tati put away the groceries.

"Personal question, what do you wish you were doing with your life?" Killian wondered as he leaned against the counter and watched her put everything away.
"Like...as a career?"
"Yea."
"In honesty I wish I was a rich housewife." She snickered. "I don't tell a lot of people that because we're in an age where women can be whatever they want to be. And saying that feels like I'm going backwards and spitting in the face of the women that made that so but I'm tired. I've been working for a while. I don't have a dream job because I don't dream about working. It's annoying. You give more than you receive. I've always wanted to get married. I like to cook. Hate serving people especially people I don't know because they feel like you're beneath them for some reason and a servant they're paying. They feel like they don't owe you respect or kindness so I wouldn't be a chef. I like staying at home. I like speaking to very few people on a day to day basis. I like the idea of having money anytime I need it. Tired of having to budget and make sacrifices because I have to make sure I have enough for a bill next week. Rich housewife just seems like what I'd enjoy the most."
"Not what I thought you'd say." Killian replied as he stared at his kitchen floor.
"What did you expect me to say?"
"I don't know. Lawyer or doctor. Something everybody says when they want money."
"Too much schooling. I like learning. I don't like being graded. I like the process of learning but hate that if you didn't learn something the way somebody wanted you to in the time they wanted you to then you're a dumbass and you fail. That makes no fucking sense. How are you going to take the speed of my comprehension and try to ruin my life with it? It's bullshit. I wanted to get out of school as quick as possible. I'll learn on my own."
Killian chuckled.
"What?" Tati asked and threw away the extra bags.
"Nothin'. You're cute."
She stared at him.