Chapter 23: Questioning

Segal walked throughout his building, Patrick following behind him, as he got ready to meet the detectives who stood in his lobby.

"Detectives." he called deeply with a smile.
"Chairman. We're sorry to disturb you at this time but we hope you weren't too busy."
"Ah, I don't get started until around 11 anyway. What can I do for the two of you? This is quite the random meeting."
"Yes, well, we've been told to call you in for questioning."
"Questioning?" he acted shocked. "For what?" he scoffed.
"We'd rather tackle that question at the police station."
"Aren't you federal agents?"
"Yes, but you aren't to be questioned there unless proven guilty. Stations are obligated to let us use their interrogation rooms any time we see fit."
"I see. Well, lead the way." he instructed.

Segal and Patrick still stood in place.
"Where is Rocky?" Segal asked.
"I don't know, sir. He hasn't shown up today."
"Send out word to find him. He was supposed to accompany me this morning."
"Yes, sir." Patrick took out his phone to follow directions.

The two began walking behind the detectives.

The back door was held open for the businessman and his assistant to climb inside. Once they were sat and situated, the door shut.
"They're beginning their search now." Patrick stated. "He knows better than to be late, sir, I'm sorry."
"Yes." Segal replied in thought.

The detectives got into the car.

~•~

Tati spit her toothpaste out into the sink then rinsed her mouth off and cleaned her face.

She wanted to shower but knew she'd have to wait for Killian to enter her room before she can.

After stripping off her small bandaid, she got ready to apply more ointment and put on another.
"Hm..." she looked at how well the wound was healing. You could hardly tell she'd been scratched.

She heard a knock on the door and figured it was him.

But once whoever it was unlocked and opened it, "Good morning." said Soren. "I brought you breakfast."
"Where's Killian?" she asked and cut to the chase.
"I don't think he's here yet. He messaged us to feed you and that's all."
"When he gets here can you tell him to come here?" she asked.
"Sure."
"Thank you." She took the food and drink then shut the door and heard it lock thanks to the key Killian left them.

I feel like a dog being locked inside a cage... she thought.

She sat on the floor and opened her breakfast plate. Inside was chocolate chip pancakes, a pack of maple syrup, a pack of chocolate syrup, a container of powdered sugar, and a container of bacon. She began dressing it the way she wanted to.

One of the many reasons she hated being stuck there was that she had no entertainment while she ate. She was just alone with her thoughts.

There was a single knock on the door before a key slipped into the knob. She stared at it as she chewed.

Killian walked in.
"You got here fast." Tati said after swallowing.
"Soren saw me when I walked in. Told me you needed me." he smiled.
"Don't be a pervert."
"What did I do?"
"I saw that pervy smile you did." she said as she cut into her pancakes.
"What do you want?" he asked and leaned against her dresser with hands in pockets and ankles crossed.
"To shower."
"That's all you called me here for?"
"Yea." she answered sassily and looked at him while she chewed.
"Could've sent a text-...oh."
"Oh you're so not fucking funny." Tati scolded.
He chuckled.

"Finish eating so you can shower." he stated.
"Mhm." She ate another bite. "Where do you people keep getting this food from? I hate you assholes but I've never eaten restaurant food as good as I have since being here."
"Whichever one they go to first."
"I forgot this building is in the center of a prospering city. You have four and five star restaurants everywhere you turn." She sipped her orange juice.
"My uncle is only a fan of good food."
"Isn't everyone?"
"Some assholes can eat a can of beans and spam and be happy." Killian explained.
Tati realized he was right. "Your uncle is the man that threatened me?"
"Yea."
"Hm. Can't say I'm a fan."
"Most people aren't."
"Are you nicer than him?"
"To you."
She looked at him as she took a bite of bacon.

"Why?" she asked.
"How many times do I need to tell you you're not here for punishment?"
She just stared at him.
"We might not be good people but we're not the worst either. It's exhausting to treat you like shit if you don't deserve it. I'd be using my energy for nothing."
"So you're not a bully, you just have low tolerance." she realized.
He thought about it. "Yea."
"Hm." She took another bite of her pancakes.

Killian looked at her. "What's your problem?"
"What do you mean?" she asked and sipped.
"You a bully or you have low tolerance?"
"Low tolerance."
"Hm."
"I didn't bully you. You kidnapped me and I reciprocated the correct energy."
"And that girl you beat up?"
"Was a bitch to me for the second day in a row and purposely spilled an olive martini down my back."
"And you slapped Niko for smacking your ass."
"Right."
"I'm sure he's still mad about that."
"I could kick his ass." she stated.
"You think you can kick anyone's ass."
"Including yours." she agreed and took the last bite of her pancakes.
He chuckled. "Right."

"Why didn't you make me work yesterday?" Tati wondered as she topped the platter.
"We had something to do so we wouldn't have been there. It was pointless."
"Hm."
"You'll work tonight though."
"Of course." she said with sarcastic acquiescence.

She stood up and handed him her trash before she looked through her clothes to find what to wear.
Killian's eyes found their usual target.

Tati turned around to leave and she caught Killian who lifted his eyes a second too late. Not that he cared he was caught anyway.
"Why are you like this?" she asked, annoyed.
"'Cause you're flaunting your sexy in my face." he answered.
"I'm gonna kick your ass."
"I think it's worth it."
She rolled her eyes and went to the door to leave.

Killian opened it and stood to the side. Tati walked through and headed towards the elevator.
"Fuck..." he huffed just to get her reaction.
"SHUT THE FUCK UP!" she shouted and he laughed to himself.

~•~

"And you know this information how?" asked Detective Park.
"I have evidence of the Cermak company threatening me and received word that it was for a rivalry against Stone. The two have been running their organizations for I'm not sure how long but I couldn't share this information out of fear they'd hurt me or my employees. If you swear to keep me protected, I will do the best I can to help you bring them down." Segal stated.
Detective Whitfield wrote everything down.
"That's good to hear. We know through deleted emails that the President was aligned with one of the largest gangs in the country. We just weren't sure who. But we can only assume they got into a debacle and that was what led to the assassination. We appreciate your cooperation during this time and we will keep in contact."
"Of course. Anyway I can help." Segal smiled his menacing smile.

The detectives and businessmen stood up to shake hands before Segal and Patrick left the office.

"Do you trust them?" asked Detective Whitfield after the door closed.
"Not at all. But if they're willing to rat out someone else I say we team up and just stay on our toes. I don't trust most people with a face scar. He's got a smile like a movie villain. But it's a step in the right direction." said Park as he stared at the far wall.

Segal and Patrick walked out of the building. After Patrick called for their ride, he received a text.

He froze.

"Sir." he called.
Segal looked at him.
Patrick held his phone and showed the gruesome photo.

Rocky laid face down in a pool of his own blood with a bruised and slashed face.
Patrick slid the photos and showed Segal the other two men who had been beaten brutally by Killian's men and found this morning on the search for Rocky.

Segal paced with one hand on his hip while the other wiped over his face.
"FUUUUUCKKKK!!" he shouted angrily, vein popping out of his neck.

"What would you like to do, sir?" Patrick asked.
Segal panted heavily in rage.

"We won't attack too soon. I'll feed word to the detectives later on. They'll have to deal with two enemies at once. And we'll kill those motherfuckers." he promised.