One

Chapter 1

I WOKE UP feeling refreshed the next day. Although the ride with Domino was intense and full of grudge against each other, we reached our respective units with no scratched skin and broken nails. We managed to maintain our silence all throughout the ride up until reaching our floor. We did not even greet each other good night. Why would we, anyway? We didn't have any relationship at all. Not even a casual one.

After drinking a glass of water, I picked my phone up and scrolled through my mails and text messages. I didn't have work in ASDG today but I needed to check on something that my senior was asking me to do. I sighed while preparing my breakfast on the kitchen counter. My one hand holding my phone, while the other pouring out the cereals from its box.

My head snapped to the side when I heard some deep, sharp barking. My lips parted when I turned around and saw my rottweiler already awake and standing like a giant guard on the kitchen's doorway.

"Good morning, Ponyo!" I greeted him. He stuck his tongue out while watching me. "Didn't realize you're already awake, baby. Wait lang, ha? I'll make you your breakfast."

A bark and I chuckled.

Ponyo was still a baby when Nemmie and I transferred to Eleves Towers years back when we were just starting our career at ASDG. I personally recommended the place to Nemmie because of their openness to accept pets inside the building. Marami kasing ibang condominium buildings ang may no pet policy. Though, I understand that it was somehow considered a hassle for the management and the owner of the place to have residents owning a pet because of possible complaints from the other unit owners.

Eleves Towers had a great management for fur parents like me, and for the years that I was living here, wala pa naman akong natatanggap na reklamo sa mga kapitbahay ko so far.

After I was done preparing Ponyo's breakfast, pinakain ko na siya at saka ako nagtungo sa terrace para kumain doon. I brought my phone and my sketchpad and took a seat on my beanbag. I crossed my legs with each other and placed my sketchpad and phone on my lap. I was eating my cereals while looking over the wide view of the city in front of me.

It was a good morning with the sun rising over the tall buildings blocking my view. The loudness of the street were a bit muzzy below. I was almost ready to start with my sketches. Inayos ko sa mini table ang pinagkainan ko at kinuha na ang sketchpad at lapis. I stared at it for a brief moment.

I closed my eyes and inhaled the cold breeze touching my face and entering my lungs. My chest risen, and I could feel myself relaxing—

A blast of electric guitar suddenly destroyed the serenity that almost sent me into paradise. I heard Ponyo's startled barks from the kitchen. Pati siya ay nagulat sa tugtog na bigla na lang bumasag sa katahimikan sa buong unit ko. I gritted my teeth as I stood up and marched my way inside my unit and toward the front door. I turned to my left where the noise was coming from.

My unit was the second to the last unit in our floor. It was near the end of the hallway, and the last was already beside the emergency exit staircase.

My fist was clenched when I arrived in front of my neighbor's unit. I knocked three times. Walang nagbukas ng pinto. I knocked again. And again. And again.

"Domino!" I started banging the door just to overlap the loud music coming from inside the unit. "Open the fucking door!"

The music suddenly stopped. I took a deep breath to calm myself. I was just having a relaxing breakfast awhile ago, and minutes after, my head was already pounding with stress. Just great!

Napaatras ako nang biglang bumukas ang pinto at bumungad sa akin ang pagmumukha ni Domino. Like me, hindi rin siya nakaayos ng pang-alis. He was actually naked on top. I could see those thin hairs resting just above his bronze colored chest. His black hair was disheveled na parang kababangon pa lang niya. His brows were furrowed as he looked at me, but when he saw me glaring at him, his dark eyes glowed with amusement. His lips curved into a jerky smile, and I could have swear to God, I just wanted to slam the door in front of his face.