Thirty Five

Chapter 35

THE BUTLER ESCORTED me toward the dining hall of the palace. I wasn't expecting to see anyone else aside from my grandmother, since she was the only present Verma in this place. Kaya laking gulat ko nang pagbuksan ako ng butler at bumungad sa akin ang mahabang dining table na puno ng mga tao.

There were lots of them. At least thirty people were seated in front of the table. They were in suits and Lehenga like me. They were chatting merrily with each other when I came in. And when they felt my presence, all their heads turned toward me.

I swallowed hard, my legs were shaking. But I held my chin high and stared straight across the table, to where my grandmother was seated.

A queen with her court. That was what beheld in front of me.

I felt my knees buckled as I took a small step. Damn it. Bakit hindi ko naisip na posibleng may ibang tao sa dinner namin ni Nana? Dapat ay pinaghandaan ko rin ang sitwasyon na ganito.

"Freeda," my grandmother spoke.

I showed her and her people a sweet smile. "Good evening, Nana."

She didn't return the smile. Instead, she motioned the seat beside her. "Have a seat."

I nodded and walked toward the seat. It was an effort to recall all my posture lessons from childhood as I made my way across the hall. I could still feel the court's eyes on me. Silently watching me, waiting for a flaw to be criticized.

Nang makatayo ako sa tabi ng upuan ni Nana ay yumuko ako at inabot ang kanyang kamay para halikan. She merely nodded her head and told me to seat.

"You look beautiful as always, Freeda," she said, then motioned the court to start eating.

"Thank you, Nana. You're lovely as well," I said with my soft voice. I eased when she started filling my plate with food. A small smile appeared on my lips while I watched her.

"How's your flight?" she asked me.

"It's fine." I glanced at the people who were with us tonight. "Nana, you didn't say they're dinig with us tonight."

Nana scoffed. "Don't mind them, Rani. I only invited them so they can see you. You're their princess, right?"

I closed my lips and nodded silently. Of course. I was their princess. They were my people. I shouldn't forgot that.

"Eat. I told the kitchen to cook all your favorites for tonight's dinner. I hope it didn't change," she said and pushed the plate full with foods to me.

A satisfied smile appeared on my lips while looking at it. "Yeah... They're still my favorites."

I could have sworn I heard my grandmother sighed in relief. "Then eat. Whatever you want us to discuss, we can do that later."

Tumango ako at nagsimula nang kumain. I kept reminding myself that I wasn't at home and that I needed to maintain my grace. These people around me could use any of my flaws to criticize not just me, but also the family's name. Pero hindi dapat ako natatakot sa kanila. Hindi dapat ako nagpapadala sa mapanuri nilang mga tingin. I should remember that I was their princess, and they were my people. If there was someone who should feel afraid, it should be them. Not me.

I ate in small bites and made small talks with my grandma. I was sometimes asked by the suited man beside me, or the elderly woman across from me. Sinasagot ko naman sila at nginingitian, kahit na nangangawit na ang panga ko kakangiti.

My grandmother would sometimes talk to them, too. From their topics, I could guess that some of them were heads of our business. Some were publicists, and there was also the royal family's doctors. My grandmother really made sure that the whole court of Verma family knew that their princess has arrived.