Eighteen

Chapter 18

I'VE BEEN avoiding Domino since the night that I cooked him dinner. Hindi naman mahirap gawin ang pag-iwas dahil halos nasa site lang siya kasama ang ibang miyembro ng construction team. I had also been distracted with work that was why I couldn't think of him that much.

A month had passed, and another year was almost ending. The heavy rain of October was making the glass wall of our office Misty and wet even from the inside. The sky was gray, and the street was filled with cars that were stuck in traffic.

I was walking in the hallway while carrying a pile of folders that I needed to deliver to the my boss when I saw the construction team arriving from the other end. My heart skipped a beat while I stared at them in utter shock. Nemmie and Aniel was busy whispering to each other that was why they didn't noticed me yet. Triton and Channing were also talking and getting a few steps behind. The only person whose full attention was on me was Domino.

I swallowed the lump in my throat as I watch him slowly approach. His dominating presence lingered around the hallway, making some passerbys steal a glance at him. I pursed my lips when he stood proudly in front of me. Dahil sa pagtigil niya sa paglalakad ay natigilan din ang mga kasama niya at nagtatakang tumingin sa akin. That was when they realized I was standing there.

"Freeda! Long time no see!" Si Triton ang unang bumati sa akin. Nasa likuran pa rin silang dalawa ni Channing. But they were tall, so I was still able to see their faces.

"Nice to see you back, Tri," I grinned at him.

"Why are you still here? It's already past five," Aniel said.

I looked at him, catching a glimpse of Nemmie's frown beside him. "Overtime. Marami pa kaming ginagawa, kaya habang may oras pa, tatapusin na namin." I looked at all of them and smiled. "Glad you guys are back before the storm."

Channing laughed. "Wala naman silang choice kundi pabalikin kami rito. Our barracks aren't that concrete to stand a storm."

"We should all head home now," Nemmie interrupted and took a swift glance at me. "Baka abutan pa tayo ng baha sa daan."

She walked past me before I could even said anything. Aniel looked at me for a moment before sighing. He followed Nemmie after, leaving the confused Channing, smirking Triton, and serious Domino with me.

"I smell a cold war raging on," Triton muttered. I only shook my head and didn't say anything. "Magbabati rin kayo ni Nems, Freeda."

"I hope so," I replied softly and glanced at Domino. Kanina pa siya tahimik at hindi inaalis ang mga mata sa akin. I wonder if Nemmie and him have talked already. Sinabi na kaya niya sa kapatid niya ang tungkol sa amin?

Ibinalik ko ang tingin kila Channing. "You guys go ahead. May ipapasa pa ako saglit sa office bago ako umalis."

"Sigurado ka?" tanong ni Chan. "Puwede naman kaming maghintay sa lobby."

Umiling ako. "It's alright, Chan. Mauna na kayo habang hindi pa lumalakas ang ulan."

"But—"

"I'll wait for you," Domino said to me, making Channing's words cut through the air. Triton raised an eyebrow, but refused to interrupt.

Nanlaki ang mga mata ko at bumaling sa kanya. "Hindi na. Umuwi ka na rin."

But he remained staring at me intently. "You'll come home with me, Freeda."

"Good suggestion, Engineer. Para may kasama si Freeda kapag naipit siya sa traffic," nakangising ani ni Triton. I glared at him. Suggestion? Did it sound like Domino's suggesting? He was obviously commanding me!