Thirty Three

Chapter 33

I DIDN'T GIVE my mother or anyone of them the chance to talk back as I pulled Domino out of the restaurant Nemmie and the others rushed to follow us to the parking area. The night was still young and the cold air was gently kissing the bareness of my neck and midriff. My eyes swelled from tears that weren't coming out totally.

"Freeda," I heard Domino whispered from behind. I took a deep breath before facing him. His face was painted with suppressed anger and worry. "You did good back there."

I chocked in a laugh, one tear finally sliding down my cheek. "Did I?"

Domino nodded and caressed my cheek using the back of his hand. "Yes." He wiped the tear from my face. "You fought well, princess. And I'm going to fight with you this time, no turning back." He leaned in to kiss my forehead. "I love you."

A loud sob escaped my lips. "I love you, too. Thank you for stepping up for me."

I let him hug me in the middle of the parking lot. Tears rolled down my face like the endless music playing from the restaurant behind us. Domino held me, murmuring promises and sweet words to calm me. But I only need privacy with him, to talk about all that had happened.

I lifted my head to meet his gaze. "Let's go home."

Domino nodded and caressed my cheek once more before turning toward our friends. I forgot they were with us.

"Free..." Channing's voice was strained as he spoke. "I'm sorry. I did not know."

I smiled faintly at him. "It's alright."

Umiling siya. Guilt was wholly written on his face. "I should've known. I shouldn't have pushed you that much to talk. Sana noong una pa lang, natunugan ko na—"

"It was my fault," putol ni Triton sa sasabihin niya. "I forced her emotions to come out." He looked at me, mirroring Channing's expression. "I'm sorry, Freeda. Kung hindi na sana ako nagtanong nang paulit-ulit at sumunod na lang sa inyo paalis, hindi sana nila tayo aabutan."

"No one's at fault here, guys," Nemmie, as ever the peacemaker, said. "We didn't know. And it was them who wanted to make a scene. Tama lang na lumaban si Freeda." She then glanced at her brother. "And thank you for stepping up beside her, Kuya Dom."

Domino rested his hand on my back. "You don't have to thank me, Nems. I'll do it again if needed be."

Nilingon ko siya. He looked very serious, and a hint of anger sparked from his eyes. I reached for her arm and squeezed it lightly. He dropped his gaze on me. He blinked, as if he realized that I was standing beside him, safe, unscathed. He released a sigh before facing back to our friends.

"Let's all go home. We'll just deal about this tomorrow." A small movement from his jaw. "Especially now that Mr. Grande is somehow involved here."

Worry etched my own face. Now that he mentioned... Ano na kaya ang nangyayari sa loob? My mother just did an award-winning drama inside. Sigurado akong nakaabot na iyon sa mga Cordova. What would they do if they knew about me? About the connection of my mother to their most important client?

"I'm sorry," I whispered, gaining their attention.

"Free, it's not your fault," Nemmie said to me, shaking her head gently.

"Nemmie's right. I'm sure that's what the board and the President are also thinking," Aniel added, face blank.

I pursed my lips and did not say any word again. Nagkanya-kanya na kaming alis para sumakay sa mga sasakyan na dala namin. Channing and Triton arrived at the venue with separate cars, kaya sila na ang naunang umalis. Nemmie and Aniel were riding Aniel's car, and Nemmie told us that she's staying in Aniel's condo tonight. Kami ni Domino ang huling sumakay sa sasakyan niya nang masigurong nakaalis na ang iba naming mga kasama.