Twenty Eight

Chapter 28

IREN'S EYES WERE on me the moment I entered my office. I raised a brow at him. "What?" I asked.

He rose from his seat. "Is it true—" He studied my confused face. "That Raja Hashim is here?"

I stiffened at the title and name together. I looked at Iren. How did he know? Is the departure of Hashim from India to the Philippines a news in the former country?

"I just heard from my mother," he told me when he saw the panic on my face. "She said that the Raja left the other day to fly over here. For what reason? She doesn't know."

My throat bobbed as I swallowed. "Do you think he's coming to get me?"

Iren shook his head slowly. "I don't know, Princess. There's no news about his plans here. Even your palace was quiet."

I bit my lower lip. It couldn't be me. Baka tama ang hinala namin ni Domino na nandito lang ang binata para magbakasyon. Kaya hindi masyadong matunog ang dahilan, dahil hindi naman importante iyon. Maybe he needed some privacy about his... vacation.

"Does your mom know if he's with someone else?"

"Some guards. But no Verma went with him."

Good. I sighed. Good. If it was just Hashim, and no trace of my grandmother going with him, then I guess that was less threatening. If he would come and try to convince me to go back with him, at least I could speak for myself without being controlled. Hashim might be my grandma's pet, at least he would try to listen to me, to respect my decision if I would say no.

Hashim had been my friend for long. I did not hate him. But I also did not like him to the extent of marrying him. He was a good guy. But sadly, he became a pawn in this game my grandmother was hosting.

Neither of us wanted this marriage. It was a bullshit for Hashim to obey them even if he didn't have anything to do with them. If he wanted his throne in his own palace, he could get it. The world was already modern. The power of monarchy in India was gone a long time ago. They've just trying to hold the titles, but they all knew that they didn't have the power any longer. We didn't have the power.

CEOs and Presidents in most companies were being voted on. Kung marunong lang sana silang makinig sa akin, maiintindihan nila na walang kwenta ang pagpupumilit nila sa akin na magpakasal sa anak ng ka-sosyo nila. They could adapt the modern way of appointing leaders, for fuck's sake!

Iren didn't bother talking to me when I started working. He must be sensing my tensed mood. The mention of Hashim's name this early even affected my concentration.

During lunch, Nemmie knocked on my office and invited me to eat with her. I asked about Aniel, and she said that the construction team was at the site. They were checking some adjustments and they'd be back after lunch.

"May problema ba?" tanong niya nang mapansin ang pananahimik ko.

"Nothing." I absentmindedly played my food with my spoon.

She raised a brow at me. "Inaway mo na naman ba si kuya?"

My lips parted at her. "Excuse me?"

She laughed. "Bakit? Hindi ba lagi namang ikaw ang unang nang-aaway?"

I threw a napkin at her. "We were supposed to be allies!"

Nemmie kept on giggling while I pouted. "It's not about Domino," I said and quietly dug in my food.

"Then what is bothering you?" Nemmie's eyes studied me.

I went silent for few seconds before speaking. "Some... things," I replied and she raised a brow. "You know, work, sleep..." Tumalim ang tingin niya sa akin. I winced. "Something that doesn't concern you."