Thirty Eight

Chapter 38

"DAD, you don't have to do this." I tried to talk to him, but it seemed like he was already fully decided about it.

My mother stormed out of the palace after trying also to convince my father to not steal the seat from me. I only gave her a blank look as she walked out of the dining room.

Steal? Seryoso ba siya sa mga pinagsasabi niya sa amin? My father wasn't stealing anything from me. In fact, he was sacrificing his peaceful life just to give me what I wanted. Gusto ko pa sanang ipaliwanag sa kanya kung ano ang ginagawa ni Daddy, pero napagtanto ko na hindi na importante kung maliwanagan siya sa mga nangyayari o hindi. She didn't care in the first place. Ang habol lang naman niya kaya siya nandito ay ang bakanteng posisyon na puwedeng ibigay ni Nana sa kanya. But since she wasn't needed, she was free to leave this place and my life.

Honestly, wala na akong pakialam. Nawalan na ako ng pakialam sa nanay ko. I had spent half of my life pleasing her and doing everything she wanted me to do. I never heard her say her appreciation for it. I never heard her say she love me. Napagod na ako kakahintay na marinig pa ang mga salitang 'yon mula sa kanya nang hindi siya naghihintay ng kapalit.

Maybe—just maybe. Maybe if I was going to accept the seat of the Verma family's head, and gave her the position, the power that she'd been craving for years, maybe I would be able to hear those words from her. But then, I realized that I didn't need it. I didn't need it if it would only be forced, if I needed to buy it from her mouth. I didn't need it.

"I don't have to do this, but I want to, princess," my father told me while hugging me. "This is my duty in the first place. You shouldn't be forced in this responsibility. You have a greater life out there waiting for you."

"What's greater than being a queen?" I said jokingly. He only clicked his tongue and kissed my forehead. Tinignan ko siya. "Seriously, Dad, you don't have to do this. If we're talking about greater life, you also have it, don't you? You have a greater life in Japan. You have your friends there, the shrine, and grandpa's memories."

My father genuinely smiled at me before touching my shoulder. "I have spent half of my life enjoying it. I think it's time that you will have your own life without worrying any of this." He glanced over my shoulder, where I knew Domino was standing while talking with Nana. "There are people close to your heart waiting for you to come home. I don't want their hopes to be shattered, especially that they also did their part in fighting for your freedom."

I turned my head to see Domino, and I caught him already gazing at me. I smiled at him softly, and he smiled back. It was rare for him to show a genuine smile. He was always cocky and arrogant. But I think he also felt my happiness right now.

I turned my head back to my father and hugged him. "Thank you, Daddy. Thank you for giving me the chance to live my life in my own way."

"You deserve it, princess. You deserve it since you were young." I felt him kissing the top of my head with a sigh. "I should've done this long ago. I'm sorry, princess. I became too selfish."

Umiling ako at tinignan siya. "You're not selfish, Dad. You were hurt. And I understand that you have to leave. Because you didn't, I'm sure everything only became worse."

My father sighed once more. "You're right. Your mom... I loved her. And I think I still love her, even after all the things she has done to you and to our family. But I couldn't let her use you again, Freeda. I don't want you to get hurt by her ever again. I promise you that I will protect you. Not just against your mother, princess, but against everyone who ever wanted to hurt you."

Napangiti ako. "Thank you, Daddy. I love you."

His face softened. "I love you, too, my princess."

We shared another hug before he released me. Magkasabay na lumapit sa amin si Nana at Domino na katatapos lang din mag-usap. I eyed Domino and raised my brows at him. I was trying to ask him what they were talking about using my eyes, but he only winked at me, which did not really give me an answer.