Twenty Seven

Chapter 27

MY WIDENED EYES bounced between Domino and Xavier. Xavier still had his smile, but Domino remained grim and unmoving.

"I did not expect you to know Engineer Salvacion, Mr. Avedon," Daniela said with a pleased smile. Unaware of the tension crawling around us.

"He was my friend," Xavier replied while crossing his arms. "Is he the person you're talking about?"

Daniela nodded. "Yes. He helped me finish my folio before passing it to you. Actually his girlfriend Freeda here was my muse," she said and winked at me.

Inilipat ni Xavier ang tingin sa akin. He smiled at me and glanced behind us, my pictures hanging on the divider. "You project nice to the camera, Miss Freeda. Are you a model?"

"No. I only did a few photoshoots when I was younger. But I am not a model," I clarified. "I believe it was Dannie's talent that brought out the best in me during our shoot."

Daniela smiled at me shyly. I grinned at her. If there was someone who needed the attention today, it wasn't me or Dom, whatever the reason of his sudden silence was. It should be Daniela who gets to be noticed. Her collection of pieces were exquisite. Hindi lang iyong akin, kundi pati na ang iba niyang mga gawa.

"I know," Xavier said, his face a bit lighter. "She was my current best artist for today. All of her pieces are sold."

I beamed at her, eyes glowing wide. "Congratulations, Dannie!"

"Then I guess it's time for us to go." I shifted my gaze toward Domino. After minutes of silence, magsasalita siya tapos iyon lang ang sasabihin niya?

He turned to Daniela with a blank face, merely looking at the man beside her. "Congratulations, Daniela."

Daniela smiled warily. I guess she finally sensed something was off. "I'll have your piece delivered by this afternoon."

"Thank you." Domino shot his eyes at me and held my hand. "Let's go, Princess."

Domino dipped his chin at Daniela and Xavier. So abruptly that I'd merely seen it. He turned his back to them, guiding me toward the long hallway. I wanted to tell him to stop, to face them again. It didn't feel right to just leave.

But before I could talk to him, I heard Xavier's cool voice sliding across our distance. "Daniela showed me some photos that you took. Even without uttering your name, I immediately know that it was you who held the camera." Domino stilled beside me. "I've been hunting you down in every studio I know, Dom. Where the hell were you?"

I felt Domino's hand tightened around mine as he replied, "It's nice to see you, Xavier." And then he turned his back on him, gently dragging me away from the hall.

***

Tahimik ang buong byahe hanggang sa makabalik kami sa Eleves' Towers. Pagkapasok sa unit ni Domino, agad siyang nagpaalam sa akin na maliligo raw siya saglit. I let him, telling that I will make our snack. Hindi niya ako tinapunan ng tingin at tuluyang pumasok sa kanyang kwarto.

I was still bothered about what happened while I'm mixing the lemon juice that I made. My mind was flying inside the bedroom, straight to the walls of the bathroom, where Domino was. I could hear the faint sound of the shower in the middle of the silence cradling the whole unit. I felt him. His silent frustrations, his hissing secrets, and his painful regrets. I felt all of him the moment he turned his back around Daniela and Xavier.

I knew Xavier Avedon by name and reputation. He was a well-known artist and a professional photographer. I heard his rate was gold. And he love hosting photo exhibits like what was held today. He like helping aspiring artists and photographers in reaching their dreams. Biglang pumasok sa isip ko ang masayang mukha ni Daniela. I'm happy for her. She finally had the best shot in her life.