Twenty

Chapter 20

WE SETTLED ourselves first before deciding to go over Nemmie's unit. She was gaping when Aniel opened the door and saw me with Domino. She set her jaw tight upon noticing the redness on the corner of my eyes. I'd stop crying minutes ago, but my brown complexion couldn't hide the flushed color on my cheeks.

"What are you two doing here?" she asked, crossing her arms together.

"I invited them," sagot ni Aniel para sa amin. "Naisip ko sila noong sinabi mong magluluto ka ng sopas."

Nemmie looked at him with a pout. "But it was supposed to be our cuddle date today."

Aniel chuckled and placed his hand on top of Nemmie's head. "It's still early. We have the whole day to ourselves. For now..." Aniel looked over to us. "Let's hang out with them."

I watched as Nemmie pouted her lips even more. Aniel leaned in to kiss her lips. It was only a peck, like a soft wind passing between them, but I couldn't help myself but blush. They looked so good together. So happily in love with each other.

Wala sa sarili akong napatingin sa tabi ko. My eyes widened when I caught Domino's eyes locked on me. Tila ba kanina pa niya ako pinapanood at naghihintay lang na mahuli ang kanyang mga mata. I noticed how intense his eyes became whenever he was looking at me. He would always watch me like I was his favorite show. And he didn't want to look away until my eyes would caught his, as if it was the plot twist he'd been waiting for to happen.

"Fine," I heard Nemmie spoke. I peeled off my eyes from Domino and looked back at her. "Pasok na kayo. And why the hell aren't you wearing your pajamas? Hindi ka ba nilalamig?"

Her glare was on me, kaya sumagot agad ako. "Nakabukas naman 'yong heater sa unit ko." She only narrowed her eyes on me before turning her back. I released a sigh.

Aniel invited us in. Nauna na sa kusina si Nemmie para ihanda 'yong niluto niya. From the living room, I could hear her moving around and setting up things on the table. Naaamoy ko rin ang mabangong amoy ng sopas. I could also smell a faint scent of margarine. Did Nemmie put some in the soup?

"Live-in na ba kayo ni Nems?" Nawala sa amoy ng pagkain ang atensyon ko nang biglang magsalita si Domino.

Aniel looked at him with a blank expression. "No. I only stayed because I'm worried she would be alone during the storm."

"But do you have your clothes here?" Domino asked.

"Some," Aniel answered. "Not all."

A visible movement in Domino's jaw. "May balak ka bang pakasalan ang kapatid ko?"

My eyes widened at his question. He's being ridiculous right now!

Aniel crossed his arms above his chest and looked at Domino in all seriousness. "If I say yes, will you give me your blessing?"

Domino answered his stares with the same intensity. "No." My jaw dropped. What?

"Domino—" I was so ready to scolded him when he continued.

"Not yet." Inilipat niya ang tingin niya sa akin. "It's too early for them to get married, don't you think?"

Napakurap ako. Bakit pati ako tinatanong niya?

"You only ask if Aniel has an intention of marrying Nemmie. Hindi naman niya sinabing ngayon na," sabi ko.

Domino raised a brow at me. I cocked my head to the side. What? Did he think na kakampihan ko siya? I knew he didn't have a strong bond with Aniel to begin with, but he shouldn't be acting like a jerk since he invited us here for breakfast. Of course, it wasn't just about breakfast. I could sense Aniel wanted us to reconcile with Nemmie, and I was willing to do it. Domino didn't have to ruin the mood just because he considered himself a protective brother.