Twenty Nine

Chapter 29

I WENT TO my unit that night with Nemmie. Domino even tried to come with us, but I told him to go fetch Ponyo at school instead and let him stay inside his unit for a while. I didn't want him to go around watching me and his sister try on some dresses, especially when there was one potential dress that I would be wearing during the gala. I wanted to surprise him and see his reaction. So it was decided that this night with Nemmie would be exclusive.

I have a small walk in closet that was connected to my bedroom. Beside it was my bathroom. I was planning to renovate my guest room into a larger closet. I didn't have much clothes in my collection, but I could sworn that I might rot if I wouldn't be able to buy a few more sets. Hindi ko naman problema ang pera dahil unang-una, mataas ang paycheck na natatanggap ko sa ASDG. Pangalawa, my father had this hobby of dumping all his money in my account. At kapag pinag-sasabihan ko siya tungkol doon ay dinadahilan lang niya na hindi niya kailangan ng maraming pera.

"Here. Try this," I said to Nemmie and pushed the ivory dress that I was holding. She frowned at it. "Hindi mo pa isinusuot, ayaw mo na."

She shook her head and gave the dress to me. "Wala bang mas dark? Para naman akong ikakasal diyan."

I frowned at the dress. "This isn't a wedding dress, Nems."

"I know, but the color—"

I rolled my eyes at her. "Fine. Wait here. Let me get what you want."

I turned back to the set of dress hanging inside one of my closet. I tried to find something more cheerful, more Nemmie-like ambiance. She should forgive me for having too many cream and white dresses. I really liked plain colors. My mother once told me that the color white made me outstanding. She told me that I should get used to white tops, slacks, dresses, and coats. I fell in love with them. But when I started trying out light colors, especially the color yellow, it made me glow like the sun.

"Here," I said and showed her another dress. It was now a teal colored dress that could reach below her knees. The top was corseted and the skirt was a full ball skirt. There were simple to minimal  floral designs on the skirt, leaving some big empty spaces to reveal the color. And by the way she beamed, I already knew she's going to wear it.

"That's more like it." She grinned and winked at me.

"Try it. Let me see the fit." Lumabas ako mula sa walk in closet para bigyan siya ng space sa pagbihis. Nang marinig ko ang pagtawag niya sa akin ay bumalik ulit ako sa loob. "Wow," I muttered, sounding a little breathless. "You look beautiful in it, Nems."

A pink tint scattered through her cheeks. "Talaga? Hindi 'yan bola?"

Natawa ako at nilapitan siya. I tried to adjust the thin strap of the dress and look over her face. "I think a crown braid will suit your style for the event. What do you think?"

Nemmie pouted her lips. "You will wear a crown braid. Iisip na lang ako ng ibang hairstyle. Pero sa 'yo ang crown braid. Don't worry. I know how to do it." She studied my long, curly hair. "What's the theme of your dress, by the way?"

I walked over the closed part of the closet. And to answer her, I showed her the dress that I've decided to wear. Nemmie's lips parted, and her eyes went wide a fraction at the sight of the dress. I tried to hide my smile at her reaction.

I was holding a lavender Lehenga set. The top was plain, and the dress was embroidered with lots of diamonds and crystals. The sleeves were long, and the cut on the chest part was a bit deep. It was also short; only stopped at my underboob—like a sports bra. It wasn't revealing, but just enough to show some skin. And when I turned it around, I laughed at Nemmie's audible gasp.