Thirty One

Chapter 31

MR. and Mrs. Salvacion was seated on the far end of the restaurant, nearly on the glass wall on the southend. They both stopped talking to each other when they saw us approach. Mrs. Salvacion was eyeing me with no expression in her lovely face. Across her seat, Mr. Salvacion stood to greet us.

My hand was instantly cold against Domino's touch. He glanced at me with another warm gaze before he went to his father to hug him.

"Good evening, son," his father said before looking at me. "Good evening, hija."

I smiled at him. "Good evening, engineer."

He returned the smile. "Please, call me Tito Nicholaos."

"Good evening, Tito Nicholaos," I repeated.

He laughed and Domino grinned while shaking his head. "Masyadong mahaba ang pangalan mo, Dad." Then he said to me, "Tito Nicho's fine. Or Tito. Just drop his name."

Tito Nicholaos laughed, and ushered us to the table. My smile slipped when my eyes went to Domino's mother again. I stilled, but relaxed eventually when I saw her smiling at her husband. Hindi pa rin mawala sa alaala ko ang naging trato niya kay Nemmie noong kabataan namin. She already changed and trying to mend with her relationship with Nemmie, but it still didn't make me feel better.

Napansin niya ang paninitig ko sa kanya, kaya inilipat niya ang tingin sa akin. I straightened my back when she surveyed me, from my loose curls to my Lehenga attire. Amusement and approval flashed through her face. I sighed.

"Ma," tawag ni Domino sa kanya. "This is Freeda, my girlfriend."

My heart thumped as I offered my right hand to her. "Good evening po, Engineer Salvacion."

Domino's parents were both engineers. That explained the history of his struggles in choosing between what he wanted and what her parents wanted for him. In the end, as his parents, they won.

Natigilan ako nang dahan-dahan siyang tumayo at lumapit sa akin. She held my hand, but dropped it. My breathing stopped when she leaned forward to kiss my cheek.

"Please, drop the formalities, hija," she said as she stared at my face. "Call me Tita instead."

I swallowed. "Sige po... Tita."

She smiled and returned to her seat. When I looked over to Domino, he was already smiling and touching my waist.

"Please, seat," Tita told us. "I assume you already ate?" Tinapunan niya ng tingin ang catering.

"Tapos na po," sagot ni Domino habang inaalalayan ako paupo sa katapat na upuan ng parents niya.

"I really like it when the Cordovas are hosting parties like this. The ambiance is always welcoming," Tito Nicho commented.

I looked around and, indeed, saw what he meant. The Cordovas' events wasn't like the others that I have been into when I was still young. Those social events were too formal, too suffocating for me. Was it because I was with my mom? Lagi kasing bantay-sarado sa kanya ang mga galaw ko sa harapan ng ibang tao. I didn't know. I didn't want to think about my past right now. Not now that I was facing Domino's parents.

They were more gentle, I could say that, but somehow, his mother had also this kind of vibe that my mother had.

Tita offered us a glass of wine. We gladly accepted it, and refused the food since we were already full. It was only Tito Nicho and Domino who were chatty. Tita would oftentimes gave some side comments, but I noticed that she'd been watching me. I became wary at her intent stares. I drank on my wine and gave a side glance smile at Domino when he looked to check on me.