Chapter 1

FOUR YEARS LATER...

"Ramona Hernandez! Get up, you're already late for your first day of school. " My mom had barged in taking my bed sheets off of me without any warning as I had been laying on the edge of my bed and fell to the ground with a hard THUMP.

"Oww..." I mumbled to myself. The fall woke me up entirely.

I stood up and trudged to my bathroom to brush my teeth and had already placed my school uniform on the doorknob of my bathroom. I quickly changed into them and brushed my hair to put it into two small sections of French braids.

After that, I got my school bag which had been already packed with school supplies. I ran downstairs to where my parents had made me breakfast.

There was no way I could just leave it there. That would be wasting food.

I quickly ate my breakfast and chugged down my coquito.

"Slow down, you don't want to ruin your school clothes." My mom reminded me.

I listened to what she said and then placed my dishes in the sink. I took my shoes, instantly putting them on. I grabbed my car keys and told my parents, "Bye mama and dada, I love you!"

I closed the door behind me and I realized I had to walk down the endless stairs. I grunted in annoyance and began to run.

I finally got to the ground floor and got into my car and drove to Brooklyn Visions Academy. It wasn't long to get there which I'm very happy about. I found a parking spot and aligned it. I took my car keys and put them in the small pouch of my bag.

I checked my watch to see it is 8:35 in the morning. I knew my school well enough to where the buildings and the rooms are so that didn't suck.

My first class is Spanish 3 which my parents had repeatedly told me because they told me I shouldn't have a schedule walking around which I knew. After all, I have been familiar with this school for two years now.

Anyway, I shouldn't be talking, I should be walking.

Wait, I have to get a tardy slip first.

I first did that and fast-walked to Spanish, luckily it wasn't far, so that was amazing.

I found Spanish and opened the door to see my teacher, Ms. Rodriguez, eyed at me curiously. I wearily gave a smile towards her and gave her the slip and walked towards the classroom to see my classmates staring at me.

I did not like that feeling at all.

I searched for a seat as I walked and found one in the left corner near a guy with braids. I quickly sat there and got my notebook and a pencil.

The stares left me and the teacher continued the lesson. I quickly wrote down all the notes before she could erase them and highlighted the important details.

After the notes, Ms. Rodriguez announced, "Okay class, we're going to have a mini quiz so you better have this all memorized after I hand it out to you."

Memorized in 30 seconds? Well, I knew Spanish but from just that one lesson? I need the notes to pass this quiz.

I was officially dead.

After the mini-quiz, I wasn't even sure I had gotten every answer right. Well maybe except for nine, but the whole thing was out of twelve.

And I did not want to get a B+ on the first day.

My parents would kill me if they saw this grade.

Anyway, I felt like someone had been staring at me through the whole class period. It was unnerving me and I did not like it. I looked around my surroundings to check for the person who has their eyes on me.