Chapter 6

Over the past few days felt normal, nothing new happened, no accidents, basically like a silent week.

It felt oddly weird considering that I like peace and quiet.

Anyway, I'm zoning out in Algebra 2 because I don't understand anything at all. So far it's been fine except for trying to solve for powers of the imaginary unit.

I looked back at the board and Ms. Schubert wrote the equation:

i⁷⁸

How was I supposed to do that?

Ms. Swan cleared her throat and looked directly at me, "Anything you like to say, Ms. Hernandez?"

I regained my puzzled look to attention and spoke, "No, everything is fine."

She gave me a weird look and we returned to our lesson.

After the lesson was over, we got two assignments to work on during the rest of the class time.

As I was given the papers, I didn't understand anything at all. What was this i⁴⁵ and i⁹⁰?

I am basically screwed.

Wonderful.

After Algebra 2, it had been lunch and my friends instantly got to me right after the bell. "Woah you guys are early." I sound surprised.

"Yeah, our teacher let us out a minute early, anyway are you still talking to that Miles guy?" Kaleb inquired again.

I think he's obsessed with him.

"Yes and why? Sounds like you're the one who's in love with him." I joke.

"Not really, I'm just protective. Also, I'm not gay." He claims.

Noelle chimes in. "Do you have a crush on him or something?"

"A girl can't have a guy friend?" I literally can't catch a break.

Sometimes I get annoyed when they want everything when I talk with someone new.

Evie butts in. "Can we find something else to talk about? Thanks."

"Yeah, I agree with Evie." Jason sides with Evie.

"Thank you!" I exclaim with relief.

"So how was all of your weekend?" Evie asks all of us.

"Pretty much did nothing all day," Kaleb answers.

"I did most of my homework and chilled in my free time," I reply.

"I went outside and photographed sunsets and sunrise most of my free time," Jason adds.

"If you ever open a business on your photography, we're going to be the first ones to buy one of your pictures," Noelle stated.

Jason blushed slightly in awe at her words as he scratched the back of his neck.

I sense tension...

As if Noelle asks me about my crush, Jason is fawning over her.

■ □ □ □ ■

School finished in the blink of an eye. I gathered all of my things and left my U.S. History class. I left the hallway and opened the door, walking down the stairs to my car.

Then I hear someone call my name, "Ramona!"

I turn around to see Miles in his green jacket under it with a purple hoodie and black pants as his braided locks fall freely behind his head.

"Hey, Miles! How are you?"

"I'm good, what about you?" He asks.

"I'm doing great, math is just being annoying," I explain.