Chapter 13

Miles

I pushed open the main doors as the breeze left behind me. I already smell the familiarity of the school's air right in front of me as I walk through the hallway.

I see people weirdly looking at me, but I don't let them affect me.

They don't have amazing hair like I do.

I keep my head up, walk confidently with a good posture, and ignore the stares behind my head.

They can have bad posture till they grow older. It's on them.

At least, I care about how I present myself and not look like a doofus.

I get to my locker and put books that I  don't need for today's classes. As I do that, I hear a familiar voice call my name, "Yo, Miles."

I turn around and see Kaleb walking toward me and I shut my locker.

"What do you need now, Kaleidoscope?" I sigh as he approaches me.

"What did you say?" He fumes immediately.

"Oh, nothing."

"Anyway, I don't like that you're talking to Ramona. She's my friend and I can't have anyone messing her up. So, don't talk to her anymore." He states.

"And what if I don't?" I ask curiously.

He steps toward me and talks into my ear, "Then, I'll tell the whole school and the police department that you're the prowler." He emphasizes prowler, in a menacing way and steps away from me.

"You won't."

"Watch me." He's glaring at me now.

Shit.

He walks away from me and I'm dumbfounded by his words.

Off to a great start. He knows that I'm the prowler.

How did he even know?

Or was he just stalking me?

I don't even know, but this is bad.

Bad.

I have to tell Uncle Aaron.

But also, he'll ruin Kaleb's life for knowing little information.

Or worse, he could be dead.

Should I tell Uncle Aaron?

I snap back to reality when the bell rings for our first class. I go to Spanish, take my seat, and prepare for our test today.

I notice Ramona walk into the class and I keep my head down.

Please don't notice me.

Just start the class already.

I hear Ramona's voice but it cuts right over Ms. Rodriguez's voice.

She hands out the test papers, "Good Morning, class. Can the first row take folders from the stack and pass them to your classmates?" The first row simultaneously stands up grabs folders and passes them to us.

"Very well." She hands out the test papers as she talks. "If you have questions you can ask me for help and I don't condone cheating so if I see that happen, you automatically get a zero and you have to restart during lunch or after school. Other than that, I hope you do well and you can start the test. Good luck." She finished announcing.

I write my name, class period, as well as the date and I start my test.

■ □ □ □ ■

After an hour, I finished the test turned it in, put the folder away, and got my phone from the phone holder.

I see Ramona is still taking the test, so I continue to be on my phone and avoid eye contact with her.

I checked the time to be 9:55 a.m.

Five more minutes left.

I continue to scroll through Instagram. I like my friends' posts and skip people's stories because there are so many of them.

Then, I scroll through reels because some of them are funny.

I see Ramona has finished her test, puts her folder away, and gets her phone back.

One more second left.

The bell rings and I throw my bag over my shoulder and I burst through the door to get out of there at the speed of light.

I enter the boys' restroom and go to the bathroom stall so I have my thoughts to myself.

I can't do this.

I can't just not talk to Ramona.

What will she think of me then?

She'll turn into one of them.

She won't look at me like I was before.

She won't care anymore.

I can't listen to her laugh anymore.

What will I do then?

As I am ramming my thoughts, I don't even notice that I've been crying.

I wipe away my tears quickly and I open the stall and close it behind me. I wash my hands and look in the mirror at myself.

Damn it.

I'm stressed again.

I didn't want this to happen again.

Not after what happened with my dad's death.

I don't ever want to recall that night.

I grab the tissue paper to wash my hands and I hear the bell ringing for break time.

I go to where Carlos and Sebastian hang out. I walk to the cafeteria and see them standing. I walk over to them and they greet me.

"Hey Miles, how are you doing?" Carlos asks me.

"I'm doing good." I lie through my teeth.

"I can tell that you're not fine." He states.

"I answered your question, what do you want me to say?" I question him.

"That you like Ramona-" I smack his head enough to shut him up.

"Ow.." He mutters as he rubs his head.

"Anyway, next week is the homecoming. Are you going?" Sebastian inquires.

"Nah, figured someone wouldn't want to go with me," I explained.

"You're denying it. Just admit that you like her to us. Then, it'll be chill. I won't talk about it anymore." Carlos claims.

I thought about it.

"Fine... I do like her." I confess to my friends.

Carlos gives me a big hug out of nowhere and I shove him off quickly.

"There's more to it, hermano," Carlos warns me.

I sigh in disbelief and the bell rings.

■ □ □ □ ■

Author's Note: Heyyy, sorry for waiting for weeks, but here is an update! I had tons of marching rehearsals and a band competition yesterday. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this chapter and what Miles does in school!

Question of the Day: Who do you think Ramona should end up with?