Chapter 19

I'm doomed.

I'm in my grave.

Never mind that I'm in heaven.

"Well? I'm going to stay here until you tell me." My dad glares at me.

"Go easy on her, I'm pretty sure you have a good explanation." My mom turns to me wanting an answer.

I hesitantly say, "It's Miles's blazer... he gave it to me because I got cold." I prepare for myself what's about to happen or thrown at me.

"¡Oh joven, amor! Tan lindo. ¿No crees, amor?" My mom squeals in adorableness, hugging my dad's arms.

"Espera hasta que tenga edad suficiente para amar." My dad tells my mom.

Wonderful, my mom thinks we're going to get married immediately while my dad thinks we'll need a few more years to truly love each other.

"And I'm going upstairs." I already feel uncomfortable about this talk with my parents.

I head upstairs into my room, and I tiredly put my stuff on the bed. I figured I'd get my other things back in Noelle's house at a later time.

I get out my night clothes from my wardrobe and place them on my bathroom counter. I take my hair tie off and let my hair down.

I brush it out, making it even harder for myself, but it's the only way to make my hair healthy.

I look at the mirror in annoyance that I look like I have a lion mane.

I trudge back into my room, take off my yellow dress, and hang it back in my wardrobe.

I go back to my bathroom, turn on the shower head, and wait for the water to get warm.

Then, I hop in the shower, and I do my business.

After fifteen minutes, I return from the shower with a towel on and brush my teeth. Then I put on my night clothes, and I dry my hair with a towel and scrunch it up a bit to make it a bit more curly.

Later on, I binge-read my book for almost three hours, which took me to finish six chapters.

I yawn exhaustively as I put my bookmark on the selected page I finished off on, and I put my book back on my bedside table.

I turn off my lamp, and I hit my pillow to be fast asleep.

■ □ □ □ ■

Miles POV

After Ramona dropped me at my house, Uncle Aaron and my mama looked at me confused as I entered the house.

"What's wrong? Do I look bad? Smell bad? What's up?" I question them.

"I think you're asking the wrong questions here. First, where is your blazer?" Uncle Aaron stated as my mama chuckled lightly at the thought of it.

I looked down, and I smacked my forehead in dismissal.

I forgot to ask her to give it back.

Just great.

"I gave Ramona my blazer because she got cold," I explain myself.

"Ah, I see. You like her." Uncle Aaron states as he sits on the couch and scrolls through sports channels with the TV remote.

"I- uh- yes." I realize that I can't deny it forever and have to admit it.

"This is good for you, mijo! You need to ask her out. Maybe she'll say yes, you never know." My mama persuades me as she kisses me on the forehead.

"Ma! You do that too much." I complain.

"It reveals how I love you so much every single day." My mama claims as she sits on the couch next to Uncle Aaron.

Well, she isn't wrong.

I walk over to the living room, sit on the couch with the rest of my family, and watch a basketball game.

It's been a long time after... my dad died.

Jefferson Davis.

It's been hard for me and for all of us, especially my mom, to manage everything.

The house, the bills, the food, and health.

She deserves so much. I just wish I could do more for her just bringing medical care for her hospital patients. I want to cure her stress and her pain from making everything happen.

Our dad was everything to us. He cared for us. Protected us from any dangers.

I wonder what he thinks of me right now.

He probably thinks I made more reck in the house.

Not just in the house.

Outside.

Everything is just so tiring. I want to go into a black hole and time to just speed up more than ever.

I've been spacing out so much that Uncle Aaron had called my name ten times.

I snapped out of it and asked him, "Yeah?"

He motioned his hand to the basement, and I understood what he meant.

"Ma?" I asked my mama.

"Yes, honey?" She turns her attention to me and pauses the basketball game.

"I'm going to head out and sleep. Take rest, ma." I hug my mama, and she hugs me back and kisses my head one last time. I chuckle at her resistance, and I go downstairs to the basement.

The familiarity of the smell of the basement brought me flashbacks to when I was young.

"Now, carefully twitch the wire to make the robot move." My dad advised me as he watched me twist the wire.

Afterward, the robot stood up and walked like a marching band and waved at me.

"That's so cool! Can I make another one?" I whined to my dad.

"Tomorrow? It'll take the same hours." My dad gave me a wide grin, and I hugged him tightly.

Those were the times.

Uncle Aaron came downstairs and studied the robot that I made years ago.

"You know you burned your fingers more than once just to make it move, right?" Uncle Aaron chuckled at the memory.

"Yeah.." I look back at the robot.

"Anyway, I wanted to talk to you about something really important. And you have to trust me with this one." He tells me in a low voice to be cautious.

I nod at him to go on.

"You have to take a certain ring that has all our plans in for the big event." He explains.

"So... what's the hold-up?" I ask him.

"You have to take it from Ramona." He states.

Oh, just how things can get more interesting.

■ □ □ □ ■

Author's Note: Hey!!! This one is informational lol, gave you guys a backstory on Miles's history, and I hope that was good! Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed this one, and I'll see you in the next chapter!

Question of the day: How's winter break going? :D