Chapter 22

It's been five months getting closer to the new year, which is crazy.

Also, finals are coming up, which is just as stressful in my calendar.

Other than that, my mom has planned that we all go to Mountain Creek Resort to go skiing. Gabriel has the week off, too, after his finals, but he comes back when I start finals.

I just don't know if it'll be the same.

I guess I'll see.

The school bell rings, and I throw my backpack over my shoulders and head off to chemistry with Evie and Noelle.

■ □ □ □ ■

Jason has been avoiding me for weeks after I rejected him at homecoming.

Every time I go to chemistry, he's keeping his head down, avoiding eye contact. Not also that, he looks tired. His hair looks messy, and all over the place, and his uniform looks wrinkled and almost undone.

I feel really bad, but what could I have done?

Lie to him? Definitely, not.

Today in chemistry, nothing has changed about him ever since.

Our teacher, Ms. Schubert announces to the class, "Your final will be on everything that you've learned the past months, from August to December. I have a review sheet of the principles of each chapter." She starts handing out the paper to the two front people in each column.

"You must study to get a decent grade. Not only that, you have to DO the problems and watch videos for memorization. Best of luck next week and the review sheet is due on the final day." She finishes her announcement as she goes back to her desk, and all of us take the entire period to finish the review sheet.

I get out a piece of binder paper for me and Evie, and then I hear Jason calling my name. "Hey Ramona, can I also get one for me and Kaleb?"

"Sure," I say as I take out two pieces of binder paper, but Kaleb's voice makes me stop.

"I don't want it." He grumbles as he gets his piece of binder paper and works on the review sheet.

I hesitantly put the other piece of binder paper away, and I gave the other to Jason.

Jason mouthed, "I tried."

"It's okay." I mouthed back to him.

Class continues, and I keep checking on Kaleb, who has his head now on the desk.

Noelle looks at me across the room, who is sitting next to Ophelia, and mouthes to me, "What are you going to do?" She motions her head to Kaleb.

"I don't know!" I mouth to her.

Five minutes before the bell, I put my papers away in my binder, and I put my binder in my backpack.

Jason tries to wake up Kaleb as he is knocked out. "Kaleb, wake up, man," Jason says as he shakes Kaleb's shoulder.

The bell rings shortly after. Noelle, Evie, and I wait for Jason and Kaleb.

"Dude, come on. This isn't funny." Jason says, face full of worry, as he is trying to wake up Kaleb.

"Is there a problem here?" Ms. Schubert walks over to us with curiosity.

"No, no, not at all, Kaleb hasn't gotten sleep yesterday, so we're helping him," Noelle interjects.

Ms. Schubert gives us a suspicious look as she returns to her desk to get her lunch to sit with the other teachers.

"This door locks from the outside, so if you forget anything here, it'll stay here." Ms. Schubert informs us as she leaves the five of us in her classroom.