Chapter 14

Ramona

Today's week is homecoming week, which means people will crowd the malls.

Unless they've already got a dress.

Anyway, right now, I'm studying for the SAT because I have more free time than I usually do. Otherwise, I would be 1) sleeping all day, 2) watching YouTube, and 3) on Instagram.

I hope that I ace this SAT. I really want to do well for myself and especially for my parents.

I hear knocking on my door, and I answer, "Come in!"

My mom opens the door and enters my room with a smile on her face. That means she did a good job of raising me.

"Miel, since you have your homecoming event on Saturday, do you want to go to the mall to see some dresses around evening time?" My mom asks me.

Without hesitation, I reply, "¡Sí, me encantaría!" Then, I hug my mom tightly. She leaves my room, and I continue studying until three.

□ ■ ■ ■ □

After a while, I have lunch with my family, and I go back up to my room to organize my desk.

As I'm organizing my desk, I find that my ring has a scratch and a strong hash mark along the ring.

Where did I even get that from?

I contemplated for a minute, but then I realized there was a purple color streak on my ring.

Why is this always correlating with purple?

Like the purple masked clothing guy, purple pen, purple color.

Purple, purple, purple.

Everything is about purple. I don't get it.

I inspect my ring further along the edges. I analyze a button on the side of the ring. Accidentally, I push the button, revealing a holograph of the entire city of Brooklyn.

Weird, this is unusual.

The holograph changes to someone older, an African-American guy around his forties. He's wearing a coat and a turtleneck with pants on.

He looks like he's on a mission. The man speaks after a wave of silence.

~ Get ready to unload the trucks by midnight and get the hospital resources to our house. We need them, don't fail me.

The setting shifts to the other person, a woman sort of like an agent. She has her hair up in a bun with black sunglasses on wearing a suit.

~ Don't worry, boss, we got it covered. And Aaron, make sure no one hears about this.  

The scene shifts back to the man or the so-called Aaron guy. 

~ I know what I am doing, trust me.

The scene moves back to the agent.

~ I hope so, too.

The holograph shuts off, and the button unclicks. 

What the hell did I just see?

Two people trying to conquer the world?

Mass murderers?

Thieves?

All these questions run through my head back and forth. I can't believe what I just saw. 

Should I tell someone?

The police?

My parents?

My friends? 

But no one would ever believe me. There is no way. 

I look back at my ring, contemplating the news I have received. My dad gave me this ring. How could it possibly be infected with this type of information?

Wait, hold on. 

I open my laptop and hop on my bed. I searched the internet, correlating to this ring. I hit enter on my keyboard, and no results show up. Not even articles or websites. 

I don't understand. 

How could this relate to me?

□ ■ ■ ■ □

My mom and I enter the doors of the mall, and we search through dresses in each store. 

"What about this one? It matches your personality." My mom asks as she holds up a yellow flowy dress with spaghetti straps and a V-neckline.

"It looks beautiful!" As astonishing as it looks, it is pricy. It goes up to seventy-four dollars. 

I followed my mom to the fitting rooms, and one of the workers got me checked into one of them. I hang the dress on one of the hooks and lay my original clothes on the bench. I try on the dress, and it goes to my knees, and I twirl in front of the mirror in front of me.

"Can I see the dress?" My mom inquires. I open the door and show the dress to my mom as I smile in delight. 

My mom turns into a sheer of excitement and takes pictures of me in the dress.

I tell her, "Just wait till the homecoming event when you actually have to take pictures." I chuckle as my mom finally stops taking photos of me. 

I put my original clothes back on and hung the dress back onto the hanger, and I left the room and followed my mom to the payment waiting line. 

We got to the counter, and my mom paid for the dress.

□ ■ ■ ■ □

Then, we left the mall, and on the way back home, my mom brought Mexican food for dinner.

She decided that it was time to taste different foods in different cultures.

We got back home, and I placed my dress in my wardrobe. I changed into comfortable clothes and washed my hands before going downstairs to eat.

I skipped along the stairs of our house and landed with a thud.

"Whoops..." I apologize to myself.

My dad gave me a stink eye when I did that.

I settled the meals onto the dinner table, and we thanked God for the amazing food, and we ate in unison.

After dinner, I washed all the plates, placed them in the dishwasher, and turned the dishwasher on.

I went up to my room and did my nighttime routine. Then, I heard a buzz coming from my phone.

I open my phone and get a text message from my group chat. Noelle and Evie are in it except for Jason and Kaleb.

This one is only for the girls.

I opened the group chat and saw Noelle's message.

Noelle 🥳 - I was thinking we could get together before we go to homecoming. We can chill for the first hour. Get dressed at 5:30, take pictures, and have your parents come to my house and talk with each other. Then, we can eat at Tabaré Williamsburg around 7 pm. Let's all tip and not have our parents do it because that is unfair, if that makes sense? Idk, anyway. After that, we go to homecoming! Does that sound like a plan?

Evie 🤓 - Woah, you put effort into this. That sounds amazing!

Ramona 😊 - This is great!

Noelle 🥳 - Cool! See you all then! We're going to have a blast!

I close my phone and put it in the charger. I get in my bed comfortably and read two chapters of my book. Afterward, I set my alarm for tomorrow's day, and I turned off my lamp.

□ ■ ■ ■ □

Author's Note: Heyyy guys!! Sorry for the weeks of procrastination, I didn't think I would be gone for this long, lol. We finished our marching season yesterday, and it was very sad. Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter!

Question of the day: Is the Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Sankes good?