Chapter 9

I am a draining sink. I can't seem to focus on this annoying Spanish assignment. I asked Miles for help and it's going nowhere.

We're in the library during lunch.

"Okay, how do you this one?" He asks me, he points to the question.

"I don't know! That's why I'm asking you for help." I say to him, looking up at him and waiting for an answer.

"Read the question carefully." He simply states.

"You sound like Ms. Rodriguez." I frown.

"Sólo hablo de hechos." He implies. The bell rings and he takes off to go to his next class.

I look down at my assignment and I find the purple underlining from the main importance of the question.

Purple pen?

Purple-masked clothing guy?

Purple hoodie?

Snap out of it, Ramona.

I put the assignment away and put it in my binder. I put my binder away in my bag and sling my backpack onto my back and I start heading to U.S. History.

I take my seat and get out my materials needed. Our teacher, Ms. Clifford, started talking about the Reconstruction and the Civil War. As she talked through them, I took notes.

After taking notes, she announced that we'd be in groups of four and working on a timeline of the events of Reconstruction.

She placed the group names on the board and I saw my name with other three people: Adin, Penelope, and Issac. They are popular people and never really associated with them.

But they're really nice. They don't talk about drama and gossip. They go on vacations all together and they're a chill group.

Yes, there are popular people in private schools.

In fact, I have seen more than five popular people.

We moved seats and I sat next to Penelope while Issac sat next to Adin.

"Hi! What's your name?" Penelope chirps in a bright warm voice.

"Ramona," I answer her, smiling at her.

"Such a pretty name!" She compliments me.

"Thank you." Ms. Clifford hands out papers to every group and we do the assignment all together.

Penelope and I worked on questions 1 through 6 while Issac and Adin worked on 6 through 7.  We finished after twenty minutes and we waited for further instructions from Ms. Clifford.

After everyone finished the assignment, we returned to our original seats and moved the desks back to the way they were. Ms. Clifford gave us another assignment on the topic of Plessy versus Ferguson.

We took our packets and flipped to the assignment and we worked on it individually. I finished after fifteen minutes and put back my packet in my bag, waiting for the bell to ring in ten minutes.

I pulled out my phone and played games on there.

Then I heard my name across the room, "Ramona!"

I turn my head in the direction of the person who called my name and my eyes land on Penelope. She gestures to me to come to her.

I grab my phone and put it in my hack pocket and I put my backpack on walking over to Penelope.

"So I was wondering if you would want to go to this party I'm hosting! It is a free space! My music will be playing, if you're into Taylor Swift and all those popular artists." She explains.