Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

               Thank god for the weekend, lying in bed with my boyfriend and my baby Lola was the best thing about the weekend, lounging around without a care in the world. I rubbed Lola’s belly as she turned her head to lick Grant’s sleeping face.

              “Hmmm someone is feeling a little frisky this morning, but buttercup you have some horrible morning breath.” Grant said as he stretched his arms, I giggled at Lola licked him again. Grant opened his eyes as Lola licked his nose. “Ugh I should have known it was you.” he said as he glared at Lola, she yelped as Grant pushed her away from him.

             “I was starting to get a little jealous there; I thought Lola was going to replace me.” I chuckled again as I let Lola lay on top of me and scratched her behind her ear.

             “I thought we agreed she wasn’t allowed in our bed.” Grant said as he moved closer to me and kissed me. “I don’t like her morning kisses the way you do.” He playfully flicked her nose, she growled at Grant as he did it again.

            “Stop it; she is going to bite you.” I slapped his hand away from her.

             “Then get her off our bed,” he pushed her off of me and moved on top of me. Lola whined as she jumped off the bed. “A goldfish would have been better, way less of a hassle to have.”

              “But they don’t do anything but swim around in the tank. How is that a better pet?”

                “Better because I don’t have to share you with it.” He leaned in closer and kissed me.

               “Didn’t they teach how to share?”

                “No they didn’t, besides there isn’t enough of you to share.”

                “And you can’t forget, they are very quiet pets as well.” he said as Lola whined, it was her time to go outside and do her business.

                “She’s not that bad!” I pushed Grant off of me and got out of bed. I grabbed a pair of sweat pants and slipped them on. “I'm going to go take Lola for her morning walk and I would like to come back to a nice hot breakfast.” I place Lola’s leash on and headed out of the room, but stopped when Grant called me back.

                “Do I have to get the dog’s breakfast as well?” I turned back and saw him stand behind me; I let out a small yelp. I smacked him on the chest, he just laughed.

               “Don’t do that and no you don’t have too, but if you want to be nice you can.”

               “Hmmm I’ll think about it and enjoy your walk,” he kissed me before he walked off to the bathroom.

          We walked back into the house to the smell of bacon filling up the air around us. I took off Lola’s leash and watch her run off to the kitchen. I followed right behind her; I walked into the kitchen to find a feast fit for a king. “What’s with all the food?” I asked as I sat down at the counter and stole a piece of bacon off the pile Grant had on the counter.

         “No but I might have forgot to mention I invited your mom, sisters, Aden, Jaxon and Joan over for breakfast to celebrate your birthday, since I didn’t let anyone do anything for you yesterday.”

“You couldn’t tell me beforehand?” I said as I stole another piece off the plate.

“I was going to but it just slipped my mind,” Grant looked up at the clock. “You better hurry up and go shower, they will be here soon.”

I scrunched up my nose and jumped off the stool. “I really had no intentions of getting dressed for the day.” I said as I walked off to the bathroom to get ready.

Breakfast with my family was great; it had been a while since we have all gotten together like that. “So what are we going to do for the rest of the day?” I said as I placed the last plate in the dishwasher.

“I don’t know what do you feel like doing?”

“We can always take Lola to the park.” Grant scrunched up his nose. “Ok fine what do you want to do then?”

“Something that only involves you and me,” he moved closer to me pinning me up against the counter.

“And what would that be?” he gave me a wicked grin as he leaned in closer to kiss me. It was cut short when the phone rang, pushed him to get the phone but Grant wouldn’t let me move.

“Let the machine get it, it’s probably nobody important anyway.” he wrapped his arms around me as he pressed his body against mine. His lips moved against mine, his tongue slipped in between my parted lips. I placed my arms behind his neck as he deepened the kiss.

“Yes I'm calling for Joaquin Salas; I'm Brett Clark from lucky literary agency.” I pushed Grant away from me and ran to get the phone.

“Yes yes this Joaquin Salas,” I tried to calm down and catch my breath. It had been months since I sent out my manuscript. I had started to lose hope that anyone was going take any interest.

“Oh great and I'm sorry for calling on the weekend, I have been pretty busy. Well anyway I'm calling about the manuscript you sent in a few months ago. I just finished reading it and I have to tell you I was a little hesitate on reading it, because there is really a huge market on LGBT books. Nonetheless I loved your story and if it’s not too late I would like to talk more to you about taking you as a client and finding a publisher for your book.”

“No it’s not too late, I haven’t had any offers,” I let out a nervous chuckle as I ran my fingers through my hair. “I was starting to lose hope when I hadn’t heard back from anyone.”

“Well that’s great, now I just need to know when would be a good time for us to meet and start finding you a publisher.” Brett said.

“Ok well I work as a school teacher and I'm not free until after four o’clock.”

“Ok let me check and see what I have free.” I waited on the line as he checked his schedule. “Ok I won’t have an afternoon off until two weeks from Monday, is that going to be fine with you?”

“Yes that would be fine,” he gave me the address and time to meet him.

“Great I’ll see you in two weeks,” Brett said.

“Yes see you in two weeks and thank you for giving my story a chance.” I hung up the phone and looked back at Grant. “He loved my story and he is going to take me as a client.”

“Oh buttercup that is great, I told you your story was great.” He scooped me up and I held on tightly to him. “Your dream is finally coming true buttercup; I told you good things are coming your way from now on.” He kissed my cheek.

“I know, I just never thought my life will come out this great so far. Meeting you has really changed my life for the better.” I lifted my head off his shoulder and cupped his face, “I don’t say this enough, I love you Grant and thank you for everything you have done for me.”

“I love you too buttercup and I will always be here for you.” he kissed me and then smiled, it was hard to believe at one point he could get under my skin and annoy me, but now I couldn’t imagine my life without him in it.

*Would you guys want to read about his meeting with his agent?*