Chapter Twenty-Seven

            I had Grant come with me to my meeting with Brett; I was excited and nervous at the same time. Never did I ever think I would have finished the story or ever have the courage to send it in.

            “Hey are you ok?” Grant grabbed my hand as we rode the elevator up to Brett’s office.

            “Just nervous but excited that he is giving me a chance.” I leaned closer to him, “Thanks for coming along with me.”

            “No problem buttercup, told you I would always be here for you.” he kissed me lightly on my lips as the elevator doors open. “Well here we go and just remember buttercup the hard part is over, you’re in and the rest is just a waiting game.”

            “I know,” I squeeze his hand as we walked out of the elevator and headed to Brett’s office. We walked up to the receptionist desk, “Hi I’m Joaquin Salas and I have a meeting with Brett Clark.”

            “Oh yes, he said to show you right in when you got here. Just go down that hallway,” she pointed to her left. “And it will be the fourth door on your right.”

            “Thank you,” we walked until we reached his office. Grant knocked on the door, “Come in.” Grant opened the door and led me inside.

            “Ah you must be Joaquin Salas, I’m Brett Clark.” He reached and shook my hand, “Nice to finally meet the man behind this amazing story.” He was an older gentleman, somewhere in his mid-forties.

            “Thank you, oh this is my boyfriend Grant. I hope you don’t mind I brought him along.”

            “No problem, well if you two take a seat we can get started.” The pointed to the two black leather chairs in front of his desk. “So first of all I have to be honest with you. When I first saw your manuscript I threw it aside, like I had said on the phone there isn’t a huge market on LGBT stories.”

            “So what made you change your mind to give it a second look?” I asked.

            “My stepson actually, the kid loves to read and sometimes when he is here waiting for me he will pick one up and read. So when he read yours he told me I should really give it a chance.”

            “Is there any way I can thank your stepson in person?”

            Brett chuckled, “You can thank him right now.” He picked his phone and dialed, “Nancy can you tell my stepson to come to my office.”

            “Right away Mr. Clark,” Nancy said. “Thank you Nancy,” Brett hung up the phone and turned his attention back to us.

            “So I have sent out a couple of copies of your manuscript to some of the publishers I think might want to give your story a chance. Now I must warn you it’s going to take a while for someone to take interest in it.” I nodded my head, “but don’t worry we will find one for you.”

            “Is there anything I need to do while we wait to hear back from someone?” I asked.

            “Just wait that is all we can do. I know it’s going to be a bit nerve wracking, but that’s just part of the publishing business.” There was a knock on the door, “That must be him. Come on it.” Brett said.

            “Hey Brett, Nancy told me you wanted to see Me.” we both turned to see who it was and I just smiled while shaking my head. “Oh hey Mr. Salas and Mr. Novak, I see my stepdad finally read you story.” Wade came over to us and shook our hands.