Chapter Three

Chapter Three

   “Joaquin come on you said you will go out with me tonight. Come on bro it’s the last weekend we can enjoy before you go back to teaching and I have to start my new job.” Aden whined into my ear. I love my cousin but I just wasn’t in the mood to go out. Especially not to club boom, not after what happened the last time I was there.

   Stupid bartender was still there and was going to be there all summer. Apparently Joel was going to be gone the whole summer. Some romantic getaway with his latest sugar daddy and the jackass that was working was a close friend of his. Now because of him I hadn’t been able to go back and of course Aaron was another reason.

   “Aden I’m not in the mood to go out tonight. I just want to stay in and work on my novel.” I had been working on this novel for the longest time. It was what had helped me for the most part forget about Preston. But since seeing him a few months back I was finding it hard to work on.

   “Dammit Joaquin you promised me to take me to club boom to celebrate when I got the job at FLPD.” He plopped down on the couch with me and placed his head on my shoulder. “Come bro you know once I start working, god knows when I’ll have a free weekend again.” He was starting to pout, I hated when he did that.

   “You could have gone into teaching and you were guaranteed weekends, holidays and the summer off.” He scrunched up his nose.

   “Teaching is boring, no offence to you because I know how much you love it. But I just think working in the forensic department of FLPD would be more interesting. Plus the pay is lousy compared to what I’ll make in forensic.” I rolled my eyes; I’m surprised he was able to settle on a major to begin with. He had changed it so many times we all thought he was never going to graduate. Then he had meet his first boyfriend Steve and somehow he was about to get him to settle on a major, because he had gotten him hooked on all those cop show dramas. Now that he and Steve are broken up, he has more free time. Now he wants to go out to the clubs but we have been avoiding club boom. Now as his last free weekend to party, he wants to go and it’s clear he isn’t going to give up until I agree to go with him.

   “The job you do isn’t supposed to be about the money, you’re supposed to do it because you love it.” I saved and closed my document, it was clear Aden wasn’t going to let me work today.

   He rolled his eyes at me, “Whatever Joaquin!” ugh he was always so dramatic, it’s a wonder Steve stuck around for so long. But I did love having him around; there was never a dull moment with him. “Maybe you should have found a job that paid good money, and then you wouldn’t have to need me as a roommate. Or better yet you could finish that novel you have been working on for the past five years now.” I rolled my eyes and stuck my tongue out at him.

    “For your information I don’t need you as a roommate, I just thought it would be better for us to live together since we hang out all the time. But hey if you don’t want to live here, you are more than welcomed to leave. As for the novel I’ll finish it whenever I want.” I shut off my laptop and placed it back on my coffee table.

   “Yeah sure, by the way what is your novel about again?” I knew perfectly well what it was about; he just liked to be a pain in my ass.

   “You know what’s it’s about why do you always ask?”

   “To annoy you because I can.” He replied sweetly, he too was one of the people that was upset that I had seduced Preston into sleeping with me. When it happened I was happy, but when he freaked out afterwards it made me feel like crap. He never knew that, nor will he ever. It won’t change how he feels about me anyway, so why waste the time telling him.