Chapter 13 - I Can't Stay Away

Lisa's POV

Jennie was hugging me and there's nowhere else in the world that I'd rather be. Even if she would switch me off again after this, just as long as I have a few seconds being close to her, it doesn't matter.

I inhaled her scent as if it's the sweetest thing there is to exist. I missed her so much. Although I am so uncertain of what to think about her actions towards me, I'm still grateful.

"I am so sorry, Lisa. I know I'm the worst. You had nothing but good intentions but I shut you out."

I heard her softly say while we're still totally tangled with each other.

I was about to respond that it's okay and she has nothing to worry about....

But we heard a few knocks on her door. She pushed me away as suddenly as when she hugged me. I guess I was switched off again.

I need not told what to do. I bowed to her and was on my way to exit. I opened the door and well, seems like this day is full of surprises.

My own mother is there standing with her eyebrows arched confused as fuck.

"L-lisa?" She managed to utter.

No one knows who I really am in this company. I don't want anyone to know and I made that so clear to my mom and dad. I will work my way up and earn the trust and respect from people around me without anyone's help. Of course I am not doing it so well as of the moment. Hence, the title of this story. I suck at everything.

"G-good morning ma'am." I opened the door widely so she can come in, then I went out.

********
Jennie's POV

Just when I was about to forget my prior promise to myself and just let go and admit that I want Lisa more than just a mere employee, someone at my door saved me.

I felt like a cold water has been poured over me. I pushed Lisa away. She didn't look surprised at all. She didn't even bother to glance at me when she bowed and left.

It's just my first day after being away for a while. Why does my boss have to be in here? Geez.

"Good morning, Ms. Kim. I hope you're feeling better now." She managed to take a few steps and held my hand, which shocked me.

She is an amazing and kind person but we never had the chance to interact beyond business and work. So it was quite a surprise for me that somehow she was showing concern for me right at this very moment.

"I...I am. Thank you ma'am."  I didn't know what else to say.

"Well, that's good to hear. I happened to visit the company today to check on a few things and Mr. Park said you're back so I decided to come see you."

"T-thank you again. It has been hard for me but life goes on."

"Jennie, if you need more time off work, please do so. It's not easy losing a loved one."

"No ma'am. I appreciate your generosity but I prefer being here and be busy with something than have my loneliness consume me."

"I understand. By the way, why is Li—, I mean one of your employees here a while ago? Is she in trouble?"

Shit. What am I supposed to say...that she brought me coffee and I needed someone to comfort me?

"S-she...ahmmm. My secretary asked her to buy coffee for me."

"Okay. Well, I have to go. Thank you for all your hardwork by the way. In a short amount of time that you managed this department, it has been doing well."

"Thank you for your trust ma'am."

She smiled a little and I went to open the door for her.  But before I was able to do so...

"By the way, Ms. Kim. How's that girl doing?"

"You mean Lisa? I mean Ms. Manoban?"

"Yes. The girl who was here a while ago."

"She...she is..."

"Still a mess?"

"She is getting better. Don't worry ma'am. I will do my best to make everyone in this department be on top of their abilities."

"I have no doubt about that. I should be going."

Then she left. Does she know Lisa? I thought I heard her call her name a while ago when Lisa opened the door. But maybe it's just my imagination or something.

********
Lisa's POV

My mother would overthink again. I'm so sure about that. I'm surprised I still haven't received a call from her or series of messages asking me this and that and making me explain shit.

I was kinda glancing at the way out and I saw my mom with one of her assistants. She sort of scanned the place maybe looking for me. I hid like what a kid would do when she did something wrong and trying to run away from her angry mom. She's not angry though. Or I'm not sure. I can't read my own mother most of the time.

I heard the other employees greeting her as she walks her way out.

Then my cellphone, which I'm currently holding, vibrated.

"I need a word with you, Lisa. Come have dinner at our house tonight." Was my mom's text message.

********

It's 5:30PM. I an fixing my things and was about to leave.

"Lisa." It's Jennie.

"Yes, Ms. Kim? Anything I can do for you?"

"Come to my house for dinner at 7PM. I guess we need to talk."

Then she left.

Wow. What's with dinner?!

And of course I have to decide where to show up. Mom or Jennie?