Chapter 6

Once they passed through the portals into the prison, Sam checked over Tommy, looking for a sign of sickness. All the boy did was just blink his eyes a few times and lightly bumping Sam's chest with his tiny horns. He let out a soft chuckle and pressed the boy back against his chest. He pulled out his warden card and swiped it on a nearby card scanner. The wall in front of him lifted, revealing the front desk to the prison. Sam walked over to it and picked up the visiting clipboard. It normally was hung on an outside post but he had brought it in after the incident and refused visitation until he had checked everything. The last names written on it were George, Michael Mcchill, & Quackity. Sam hadn't actually seen them show up at the prison for their visits but it wouldn't matter. The creeper hybrid sat Tommy on his lap while did quick checks at the desk. The boy kept reaching out for things when Sam did but couldn't actually reach them, so he just clung to Sam's sleeves. The creeper hybrid would stop to ruffle the blonde's hair as he took small notes from a bigger notebook. After he was finished, Sam moved to sit Tommy on the floor. He pulled a floor mat from the duffle bag Puffy had given him, which included other items to keep the small boy entertained while he worked. Once the area was neatly set up, Sam moved back to his desk, and fixed himself up. He removed his crown and golden armor, replacing it with netherite helmet and netherite armor. He pulled the microphone over from the side of the desk and connected it back into a speaker. A small screen appeared and Sam went through it until Dream's cell number popped up. He turned on the mic and started speaking into it.

"Good Morning Dream, it is May 13. I do apologize for not keeping my word on the potatoes but I'll drop them in just a moment" stated Sam, moving his mask down to speak.

There was no response at first, the sound of shuffling and footsteps. Then Dream spoke up.

"Morning Sam, how are things going out there?" asked the sheep man, with few sounds of static from the speaker.

"Not too bad, new buildings are getting built or old ones getting repaired. Folks are moving along in their lives and growing up" replied Sam, as he fiddled with mic wire.

"Interesting, has anyone wanted to visit?" questioned Dream.

"I don't know but if they did, visitation abilities will be delayed for reasons that you are aware of" sighed Sam.

"Well you could come see me, like yesterday" , commented Dream.

"I only came because of what I need to get from you" said Sam, flatly.

"Fair, but speaking on that, how is Tommy doing?" nagged Dream.

"He's fine, I was able to get him settled with some things to keep up with him" informed Sam, glancing to the child on the floor.

"Could I see him? Like visiting since I'm not gonna have many '' suggested Dream, in a sickeningly sweet tone.

"No Dream, he still hasn't overcome the time he spent in there with you, plus I don't think I can trust you with him. No one would trust you with him" remarked Sam, getting a bit agitated.

"Then you could also come, we can chat since you spend most of your time here with me anyways" insisted Dream.

"That's because it's my job to keep watch over you, not to be-friend you" exclaimed the creeper hybrid, resting his head on his hand.

"Don't be like that Sam, no one's gonna judge you. It's just us too in this big building and you said visits are gonna be delayed so what's stopping you" assured the brunet man.

"knowledge of your wrong doings and how you like to twist things to your own narrative" reported Sam.

There was no response from Dream, which was a sign of ending the conversation.

"I'm going to drop in your potatoes" stated Sam, before turning off the mic & speaker.

The creeper hybrid leaned back in his chair and glanced down at Tommy. Somehow the small boy had tangled himself up in his blanket and was just staring up at Sam. Sam smiled softly and unrolled the kid. The blonde glanced up at Sam, before just laying completely still on the floor. It made Sam worry for a second and waited for him to move. Tommy then slowly half crawled over to the plush duck and rested his head on it. Sam let out a sigh of relief.

"My primes, what did you do that for?" questioned Sam, as he ran his fingers through his own hair.

The boy just replied with a loud squeal and started messing with a different toy just a few inches away. Sam laughed a little before standing up completely. He walked over into a small storage room, where food for prisoners was kept. He grabbed a sack of potatoes and hung it from his waist belt. Sam then returned to the main room and scooped up Tommy in his arms. The blonde still held the duck toy in hand and clenched on to it as Sam started walking. The two took the hallway called the "warden walk", which was a path only Sam had access to when getting around the prison. Since the building was empty, every step the creeper hybrid took had an echo to it. Very unsettling, so Sam sparked up a non-rhetorically conversation with Tommy.

"To be honest Tommy, I know that the prison was commissioned to be huge, but now I think it was unnecessary." started Sam, as he looked up to the ceiling.

"Like prisons are meant to keep those in it from escaping and others kept out. It is also built to fit lots of folks too but not many people have committed prison worthy crimes, with a few exceptions since most of the people who have are long gone or just don't live in this part of the nations" he added.

"And I'm the only one in charge and get to have a say when it comes to prison but usually not allowed to be too far unless given otherwise. Like yesterday when I came to get you, that was a reason to leave since I couldn't really help if I was still in here" he rambled, pressing a button to an iron door.

"I could ask someone one else to take up the role if I needed a break but I think I'm one of the few who haven't really cracked under Dream's pressuring or swooning words" Sam uttered.

"Besides, everyone has some kind of attachment that the bastard could use to his advantage, including me but I haven't let him know about them. Well, I guess besides you" he shrugged, looking out the kid in his arms.

Tommy stuck his forked tongue out at Sam and pressed his head on the man's shoulder. Sam let out a sigh and lightly rested his head on Tommy's small one.

"You have always been a special case, Tommy, but you are my special case now" remarked Sam, as he pushed another button for an iron door.

This door revealed the area just outside Dream's cell. Warmth from the lava radiated into the area, with small air conditioning to somewhat regulate the temperature. Sam rested Tommy on his hip as he used his hand to untie the sack. He grabbed a handle of a trapdoor and dumped the potatoes into it. The sound of the spuds bouncing down the tunnel made a small echo as they traveled. After a few moments, Sam heard Dream yell "thanks" through the lava. He didn't respond, so he just walked back towards the warden walk hall. He switched Tommy over to his other arm as they went back up the hall, continuing their conversation.