Chapter 10 | An Interesting Visit |

The sound of a small alarm clock went off at Sam's desk. The creeper hybrid let out a groan and slammed his hand on the table looking for it. It took a few moments to find it. He clicked it off and sat up. He was very tired surprisingly, which he didn't know why. All he did was walk around the prison for a few hours and check in on Dream during his respectful times. This is what he has been doing since the prison was finished being built, but today felt different. Probably since he was stressing over Puffy and Tommy since he left from lunch. It wasn't that he didn't trust Puffy, it was just Tommy's rebirth was something very new and the way Jack had taken it made him think others would take it bad too. Especially people who were actually close to him. Tubbo and Ranboo seemed to be grieving and somewhat moving on but it didn't feel right to deprive them of the truth. Maybe they could wait awhile before telling them, just so he and Puffy could get Tommy settled in with things.

Sam stretched out his limbs as he switched back into his golden armor and tucked his netherite set under his desk. He opened the portal and exitted it. Once outside, he turned the portals off and listened to it shatter before letting the sounds of the night reach his ears.

It was very quiet.

Only the sounds of

Water,

Crickets,

The wind,

And a horse.

Wait, a horse.

"Sam" greeted a loud voice, scaring the creeper hybrid.

He turned with his trident extended, only to be met with the face of a dark haired duck hybrid.

"Woah, easy there Sam" the hybrid stated, placing his hands up in defense.

"Quackity, what are you doing here?" questioned Sam, lowering his trident.

"Came to see you as you get off your shift, dear old dad" smiled Quackity, his yellowed feather wings flapping.

Sam looked the small man up and down. "Dear old dad" was something every kid would say if they wanted something or they did something bad. He couldn't tell which it was since Quackity stood in front of him, no armor on or weapon in hand. Just some new clothes and a skeleton horse behind him.

"Did you need something?" asked Sam, fixing his crown.

"I do but I just wanted to have a casual conversation first. We haven't spoken in weeks, might I say" exclaimed Quackity, swinging an arm over Sam's shoulder as they walked.

"Have you been avoiding everyone or just me?" he added, lifting his brow a little.

"Not intentionally, no. I have been just keeping up with my duties as warden" expressed the creeper hybrid, his ears pinning back a little.

"And just that? You don't have any other things? Like hanging out with friends or going to see someone special or working on projects" pressed Quackity.

"I mean, I went out to lunch with Captain Puffy today. That's it" shrugged Sam, feeling interrogated.

"Really, how is she holding up since ya know" questioned Quackity, making a horn ear gesture.

"Huh, she hasn't said anything about it" stated Sam, wondering if he meant Tommy or Bad .

"I see, hope she's staying safe. She seems like a really nice person" said Quackity, his wings shifting.

"Yeah" nodded the creeper hybrid, looking up at the sky.

"Besides the captain, anybody else you've seen or hung out with?" inquired the duck man.

"Unfortunately no. I have been trying to keep up as a warden to avoid anymore accidents happening" sighed the creeper hybrid.

Quackity seemed like he was going to say something but hesitated. Sam noticed his face dropped for a moment. The duck hybrid was also someone Tommy was close to, acting as brothers from time to time. He wanted to comfort Quackity, but it seemed he started up on a different topic to lift the mood.

"But besides me, what about Quackity? Anything big happens with you" asked Sam, gently bumping the dark haired man.

Quackity looked at him a little shocked but covered it up with a quick witted smile.

"Yes actually, I have been working on some small projects that are a part of a big one. I have been drawing up plans and riding around with Boner to meet up with friends and future partners. Just the other day, I saw Hbomb at the cat cafe which was a pretty weird experience since he was training Antfrost for something. He didn't say what, just that he was teaching him the 'ways of the maid'. I don't know what that means" rambled Quackity.

Sam smiled a little as he listened to the Quackity talk about everything and anything. He realized he kinda did miss chatting with his son. It was true they hadn't spoken since confrontation months back which made the interaction just a little more special to the creeper hybrid. As he listened on, The duck man seemed to have shifted gears.

"Oh I just remembered why I came looking for you" exclaimed Quackity, stopping in his tracks.

"Oh? What was it" questioned Sam, lifting his brows.

"Well, I said earlier that I have been working on some projects which are a part of a bigger project" revised the dark haired man.

"You did," nodded Sam.

"So I have a proposal for you" stated Quackity.

"A proposal?" repeated Sam.

"Yes, an interesting one in fact" smirked Quackity, his tone going down.

"I have a lot of things I'm going to be doing in the next few months and I need someone to do some background work for me while I do the big upfront stuff" informed Quackity.

"That sounds like an interesting offer but Quackity-" said Sam, but was interrupted.

"I'm not finished" exclaimed Quackity, glaring at Sam.

"You are the warden of the Pandora box, I get that. But you are throwing yourself into unnecessary work because of something out of your control. Dream is unpredictable and Tommy's death wasn't completely your fault. The accident makes you paranoid" he stated.

"And because of that, you just sit in there all alone, with nothing or no one to keep you busy. That makes you as much of a prisoner as Dream is, which puts him in power" he explained, placing his hands on Sam's shoulders.

You need to put your skills and life into a better place of work, Which is why I'm giving you this offer" he expressed.

Sam stood there in silence.

Was it true?

Was he just throwing himself because of grief?

Did it give Dream the upper hand?

Was he a prisoner in his own prison?

As the creeper hybrid's mind raced, he felt Quackity remove his hands from his shoulders.

"I'll let you sleep on it, come find me in the ruins of El Rapids if you wanna talk" said the duck hybrid, fixing the beanie on his head.

"Catch ya later Sam, get home safe" waved Quackity, as he disappeared down the path.

Sam gave a small wave as he stood in the darkness. Quackity was probably right, he should sleep it off for now. He turned around and headed for the hyper tunnel to Snowchester. He didn't feel like being alone again for the night so hopefully Puffy won't mind him staying over one more night.