42|'No Cory- RIZ!' Part 2

The paramedics carry his body on a stretcher across the field back to the ambulance as I reassure my best friend that everything's gonna be okay.

"What if he can't walk ever again?"

"That won't happen. Don't worry." His eyes prick with tears, and I rest my forehead against his. "It's okay, I'm here. Everything will be fine."

He pulls me closer to him, wrapping his arms around my waist and closing his eyes to try to calm his breathing. I place a lingering kiss on his forehead before closing my eyes and resting my head against his again.

♡♥︎♡

That morning...

"Hey, superstar, you ready for the game?" I smirk, leaning on the lockers next to my best friend, startling him slightly.

"What? Oh yeah, yeah. So ready." He gulps nervously.

"Hey, don't worry, you'll be great." I reassure him with a smile that he reciprocates. "What's that then?"

"O-oh, just some, um, spare clothes for Jordan." He says, looking at the bag in his hands, closing his locker behind him.

"Oh..." I nod with a confused expression, and we start walking through the hall over to Jordan's locker, next to mine.

"Jordan, are you alright?" Cory checks on his younger brother, who passes him a carrier bag that I assume has his dirty clothes in it.

"I'm fine." He says curtly, quickly taking the bag off his brother and stuffing it in his locker. "Bella."

"Jordan." I return the nod he gave me just as Mrs Carter approaches the three of us.

"Alright, lads, ready for the game later? Alright, Izzy?" Mrs Carter smiles.

"Yeah." Me and Cary smile in sync, though mine isn't as forced as his.

"What's in the bag?" Mrs Carter asks, motioning to the carrier bag in Cory's hands.

"Nothing." Jordan replies.

"Won't mind me having a look then, will ya?" She says, holding her hands out expectantly.

Cory reluctantly hands it to her, and she pulls out a few tops from the bag.

"Disappointed Miss?" Jordan asks, tauntingly. "Were you expecting a bloody knife? Bag of drugs?"

I nudge Jordan with my elbow as a way to tell him to shut up, but he just stares at me blankly before turning to walk off.

Mrs Carter hands Cory back the bag, and he cracks, "Dad kicked him out." What?!

Mrs Carter's face falls, and she looks at me before looking at Jordan, who stopped dead in his tracks at Cory's confession.

"What?" I choke out, confused, and Cory looks at me with regret, opening and closing his mouth, but no words coming out.

♡♥︎♡

"Where are you staying?" Mrs Carter asks Jordan as the four of us sit in isolation for some privacy, I pace back and forth, trying to wrap my head around the whole situation.

Mr Bell was right. I should've taken him seriously when he told me. How long has this been going on for? Why didn't they tell me?

"Well, I'm here, aren't I?" Jordan shrugs carelessly. "I can do what I want now. I'm 16, so -"

"Barely!" I scoff. "You're just a kid, Jordan!"

"A kid you fucked!" He reminds and I clench my jaw.

"Oh I swear to god!" I storm up to him, my fist clenched at my side but Cory pulls me back, hitting Jordan on the back of the head for his stupidity.