Flashbacks Chapter #4

"When's Uncle Newt going to get here?" Lydia is swinging on the chandelier. Sirius is hanging upside down from the banister of the stairs. Sirius had only been at Potter Manor for three days, but it already felt more like home than Grimmauld Place. Yule was normally the worst time of year, because the entire Black Family would gather. With the whole family being there, his parents were more likely to punish him harshly. Indeed, Yule normally ended up with him being tortured with the cruciatus.

"He'll be here at 6:00 dear," Euphemia rushes in with some food to place on the table, "and please get off the chandelier."

"Yes Mum," Lydia flopped down, landing safely on her feet, "Siri, let's go to my room. I want to get a few of the puzzles we made last night. I think Nico especially will like them."

"Sure Lyds," Sirius pulls himself up, "let's go." The two walk together to Lydia's room. As they walk, they hear Lydia's father Fleamont talking.

"Look," Fleamont is heard saying, "I understand the danger. However, you will leave my Lydia out of this. Understood?."

"You two heard that conversation," Fleamont whispers, suddenly worried.

"Sorry Daddy," Lydia apologizes, "we didn't mean to hear."

"I know my heart," Fleamont sighs, "I know."

"My, my Fleamont," Abraxas Malfoy tuts, "such suspicious behavior. I wonder what kind of business the upright Fleamont Potter is involved with."

A deep yet soft voice answers, "It is too late. I have already begun the process. Your Lydia is the strongest member of your family yet. I will take great pleasure in working with her."

Albus Dumbledore sits in contemplation. He wonders what the Potters could possibly be hiding. Fleamont was a kind soul and could be often seen helping families in need. What sort of business could he be dealing in?

"You will do no such thing!" Flamont shouts, "My Lydia is far too young for your tormenting. Leave her out of this."

"What's going on?" Sirius asks Lydia softly, "does your father normally yell in empty rooms?"

"Absolutely," Lydia answers to Sirius's surprise, "he's done this since I was a kid. I always ask why, but he never told me. I have two theories. 1) He's bi-polar. 2) He has an imaginary friend rooted in trauma."

"Ouch Lyddie," Fleamont grasps at his heart, "you talk about your old man like that?"

"Yes," Lydia responds bluntly, "my very old and forgetful father. You know, it's normal to go a little mad at your age."

"Always a smart aleck," Fleamont shakes his head at his daughter. She would always have the last word.

"I couldn't hold myself back dear one," the voice crooned, "she's just so tempting. Her scent just lures you in."

"That's creepy," Marlene commented, "are you okay Lydia?"

"Different kind of scent," Lydia dismissed her worries, "you'll understand soon enough."

"You feel it too," Fleamont sighs, "I knew it the moment she was born. I knew that I'd have to give her to you one day."

"It's not so bad dear one," the voice is strangely old now, "your family has done it for generations. Bring her to me by 4:00."

So whatever this is, Dumbledore thought to himself, it's been going on for far longer than I've been alive.

"4:00!" Fleamont shouts, "that's far too soon. And I have a boy staying with us, he can't be there when it happens."