Flashbacks Chapter #11

"I did this," Lydia's face turned white, "I caused this horror to my most precious possession."

"It's not your fault," Sirius insists, "it's the person who did the deed's fault."

"I should have stayed neutral," Lydia moans, "why did I fight in a war when I had a child to think of? What was future me thinking?"

"You did the right thing," Benjy said soothingly, "and I'm sure it will all work out."

"HOW?!" Lydia shouted, "my only child just got put into a death tournament!"

"I don't know," Benjy admitted, "but I'm sure we'll find out."

"So you're getting married," Sirius's feet are in Lydia's lap, "are you pregnant?"

"No," Lydia rolls her eyes, "I'm not pregnant."

"That's your first assumption Sirius," Lydia laughs, "what a brother I have."

"Then why are you getting married so quickly?" Sirius asks, "you and Benjy have only been dating for 3 years. You're only 19."

Lydia chews on her fingernail, engagement ring clear on her hand.

"It's pretty," Lyetta fawned over the ring, "mine better be just as good

"It's pretty," Lyetta fawned over the ring, "mine better be just as good."

"That's an old family ring," Fleamont stroked his beard, "I must have given it to the lad."

"Perhaps," Euphemia agreed, "or maybe Sirius took him to the vault to choose. I wouldn't be very surprised."

"I don't want to miss out," she whispered, "Mum and Daddy are gone. They'll never see me marry. What if you don't get to see? What if I never get a chance to marry? Benjy's a big target after all. An extremely powerful, good looking, and successful muggleborn, who's also dating, now engaged to, one of Wizarding Britian's most elite witches. Why would they not want to make an example of him? I don't want to lose him!"

"We never see our girl marry?" Euphemia gasps, "oh Monty!"

"I know Cara Mia," Fleamont's face darkens, "I too am frazzled."

"You're going to die soon?" Lydia's face is pale as marble, "but you're not that old. Dumbledore's way older."

"Death is nothing to be afraid of my little heart," Fleamont soothed, "it is the next big thing."

"Indeed," Professor Dumbledore offers his condolences, "I like to say that death is but the next great adventure."

"Well put," Fleamont agrees, "and we'll be in the spirit world my love. You will be able to summon us as you please."

"I still think it's a little early," Sirius shrugs, "but if you're happy the-" A loud knock is heard on the door.

"I'll get it," Sirius motions to Lydia, "how many souls do you sense?"