Iolanthe Potter Chapter #8

"Sirius," Dumbledore motions for him to sit down, "thank you for coming."

"Get to the point," Sirius snarls, "I have to get Iola on her flight in two hours, so make it quick."

"Flight to where?" Benjy wondered.

"I want to apologize," Dumbledore sighs, "you were right."

"Did Albus Dumbledore just admit he was wrong?" Euphemia gasped, "I can't believe this day arrived."

"I don't need apologies," Sirius looks Dumbledore in the eye, "apologies once you're under fire don't help me much. It's too late for you to fix the issue you've caused."

"I know," Dumbledore sighs, making him look older than ever, "I regret the pain I've caused. I just hope you understand that I never meant to hurt your daughter or anyone else who Severus harmed. I was so caught up in my own hubris, that I neglected to see the truth. I had genuinely thought Voldemort was still alive, there was too much evidence, at least in my eyes, that he still remained. I thought Severus would be needed. He was not."

"I'm glad to see you can admit your own mistakes," Alastor told his longtime friend, "pride gets the best of everyone."

"Indeed," Albus agreed, "it's why I never ran for minister. I guess the issue returned to me regardless."

"I won't forgive you," Sirius sighs, "but I won't fight you. You were a paragon of justice and acceptance during the war, and I can respect that. And with that respect, I'm going to give you a recommendation. You should retire."

"Excuse me," Dumbledore was surprised, "why would I do that?"

"The DMLE is taking steps to investigate Hogwarts," Sirius shakes his head, "they grew especially concerned when you hired an former death eater as a teacher. There's also the case of the cursed vaults. They're also worried about the state of the education. Divination and history are a joke, we haven't gone to any of the inter-school championships in 30 years, and the exchange program was cancelled. The duelling class has been cancelled, in addition to the healing, wizard culture, and art classes. The school is dropping standards, and people are getting involved. If you don't want to come under more fire, you should get out."

"I didn't realize things had gotten so bad," Dumbledore's face whitens, "I'd cancelled dueling and wizard culture during the war because it was becoming a front for politics and fighting, and the healing class was cancelled because of the shortage of healers during the war. I've been so busy trying to catch Voldemort, that I've neglected the school. Perhaps you're right, the school could use change."

"Good on Sirius for bringing these issues up," Augusta said, "even I hadn't noticed how bad it's gotten. Hogwarts used to be the top wizarding school, but now, I'm not so sure."

"Hopefully the future people will mend it," Newt said, "I have fond memories here, even though I was expelled."

"Is it true?" Pomona Sprout whispered to Professor Babbling, "have we truly been ignoring the falling standards here?"

"I fear it must be true," Babbling responded, "but I have high hopes for the future resolving them."

"You should have retired then," Sirius speaks softly, "it was too much to lead the war, and run a fully functioning school all at once.  Think about what I said, I have to take my daughter to the airport."

The scene shifts to Iola and Sirius in a muggle airport. Iola is about to board, and Sirius is hugging her. "Be good for Great Aunt Tina," Sirius says, "and don't forget to cause some mischief."

"So she's coming to see me?" Tina says, "neat. I wonder what our relationship is like."

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good," Iola recites to her father, "I'm going to miss you Daddy."