Iolanthe Potter Chapter #15

Iolanthe Potter trembled as she sat on the dock. In five minutes, she'd have to dive into the depths of the Great Lake. She felt more confident then when she faced the dragon though. Her method had no way of failing. 

"How are you feeling?" Fleur Delacour asked empathetically, worried for their youngest member.

"Nervous," Iola twiddled her thumbs, "but not as nervous as I was by the dragon."

"I'm sure you'll do great," Theodore Calderon-Boot smiled, "you're one of the best in your year. Chin up Iolanthe."

"Thanks Theodore," Iola said softly, "I appreciate it."

"Hey now," Theodore laughed, "we're in this tournament together. Call me Teddy. All my friends do."

"I'm glad the older champions are being good to her," Lydia whispers to Benjy, "she's in a tumultuous stage in her life. I'm just pleased they're acting like mature adults."

"So am I," Benjy confesses, "I was worried that people would take it out on her."

"Then call me Iola," Iola returned, "most people call me that anyways."

"Iola it is then," Teddy offer his hand, "let's bring the glory to Illvermorny!"

"For Isolt!" Iola pumped a hand in the air, grinning with school pride.

"Champions!" Ludo Bagman called, "at the call of the horn, you will all dive into the lake. You have one hour to retrieve your captive." The horn sounded, and the divers began their preparations. Fleur and Cedric conjured bubble-head charms, and Teddy was wearing a fully body wetsuit, and had scuba gear on. He immediately enchanted something on his air canister, and dove in after the others. Iola took a big gulp, and quickly swallowed the clump of gillyweed Neville had handed her 2 weeks earlier. She had read about the bubblehead charm herself, but wasn't confident in her ability to keep it sustained underwater for a full hour. Her hands rushed to her throat as she chocked on the sticky substance. She gasped for air, and she felt her limbs changing. Rushing into the water, she finally felt her breathing return. She looked at herself, and noticed her webbed toes.

"All of them are extremely clever," Alice observed, "Delacour and Diggory went a fairly dangerous way. Any minute they could lose control over the spell and drown. Iola's was also rather risky, but far less then them. As long as she's quick enough to get her captive out, the gillyweed should last her. Calderon-Boot's strategy was rather brilliant in my opinion. I noticed the patterns of the spells he cast. He cast a strengthening spell on the canister, and an automatic refilling charm."

"So the air in the canister would replenish," Frank picked up on her thoughts, "and the canister itself wouldn't break. You're right my love, it was rather brilliant." At that, Frank kissed his wife.

"Stop being gross," Nico blanched at the sight, "you 2 are far too lovey dovey for my taste."

"Shut it Nicholas," Frank stuttered, still blushing, "you're just jealous."

Iola immediately swam into the depths of the murky lake. She passed many different fish and all sorts of reefs. She took a deep breath, before allowing her natural magic to overtake her. Silver flooded her irises, and she sensed the souls of the captives. No longer lost, she immediately rushes in the direction of the captives. Suddenly, a swarm of grindlows arrive, and they try using their strong, brittle fingers to drag her. Thinking quickly, Iola uses the revulsion jinx, and shoots hot water at them. Burned, the grindylows wail, and Iola swims hurriedly in the direction of the hostages.

When Iola arrives in the small mermish village, she stares in horror. Four victims are tied to a post, and are in some sort of enchanted sleep. Iola burns with the desire to help them, but knows her gillyeed could finish any moment. She would not allow herself to possibly drown, for people who were anyways going to get rescued. Iola could sense the summoning runes on the poles, ones that would allow the judges to bring the remaining captives back to the surface. The other three would be fine. Casting a tempus spell, she realized that she had 20 minutes to spare. Iola rushed to her captive, her lovely cousin Benjy, and cast a relashio spell on his bindings.