1

Reethu pov

Reethu pov

After concluding the day's tasks, I made my way to the parking area to retrieve my bike. Plugging in my headphones, I settled onto my Royal Enfield and set off for home. Immersed in the music, I entered the house, swaying to the rhythm of a Chennai Express song, only to halt abruptly upon seeing my parents seated on the couch.

"Hello," I greeted, joining them. "Hello, kanna," they replied.

"What's going on, Appa?" I asked, heading to the kitchen for a glass of water. "You're getting married. The boy and his family will be coming the day after tomorrow," my father informed me.

Surprised, I choked on the water. "I beg your pardon," I exclaimed.

"Sweetheart, you're 25 years old. The boy is 27. He's nice, handsome," my mother added.

"Can I at least see his photo?" I requested. "Nope," they responded, smiling.

"Could you at least tell me what he does?" I pressed. "You already know. Now freshen up and join us for dinner," my mom instructed before they both left the room, leaving me bewildered.

Stunned, I stood there processing the news. I knew his profession. It's not like I'm going to marry a cricketer, I thought, shaking off the idea before heading back to my room, still humming the song.

Reciting the lyrics, I changed into comfortable clothes and splashed water on my face before descending for dinner.

"Hello, I've come for dinner," I announced playfully, greeted by my parents' laughter.

"We know. We're coming," they chuckled.

"Oh, by the way, your cousin is arriving tonight, and his parents are coming tomorrow," Dad mentioned, as I groaned and rested my head on the table.

============

Soon, my cousin Venkat arrived, and we lost ourselves in music, playing drums and guitar while my parents ran errands.

"Who even asked for a marriage?" I pondered aloud.

"I mainly attend weddings for the food. Just because you're my sister, I'm here, still mostly for the food," Venkat admitted with a laugh.

"Thank you, kind sir," I retorted sarcastically. "Let's just hope he's good-looking," I muttered to myself before we resumed our musical session.
As the evening progressed, Venkat and I continued our jam session, the music filling the air with energy. Despite the impending news of my arranged marriage looming over me, I found solace in the familiar rhythm of the guitar strings and drum beats.

"Seriously though, who springs a marriage announcement out of nowhere?" I quipped, breaking the musical reverie.

Venkat chuckled, his fingers deftly strumming the guitar. "Our parents, apparently. But hey, at least we've got each other for moral support."

I nodded, a small smile tugging at the corners of my lips. "True that. Thanks for being here, Venkat. I don't think I could handle this madness alone."

He grinned, setting down the guitar for a moment. "Anytime, Reethu. You know I've got your back, even if it means enduring endless family drama."

With a shared laugh, we resumed our music, the sound echoing through the house and momentarily drowning out my swirling thoughts about the impending meeting with my prospective groom and his family.

The evening passed with music and laughter, providing a temporary escape from the impending responsibilities and uncertainties that awaited me. Eventually, our impromptu concert came to an end, and Venkat and I retreated to our respective rooms, each lost in our own thoughts.

Alone in my room, I couldn't shake off the mix of emotions swirling within me. On one hand, there was a sense of reluctance and disbelief at the sudden news of my impending marriage, arranged without my consent. On the other hand, there was a flicker of curiosity about the man I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with.

Sighing heavily, I flopped down onto my bed, staring up at the ceiling as my mind raced with questions and uncertainties. What if we didn't get along? What if he didn't accept me for who I was? What if...?

Pushing aside the endless stream of "what ifs," I forced myself to focus on the present moment. Tomorrow, my cousin's family and the prospective groom's family would be arriving, and there was no escaping the inevitable meeting. But for now, I needed to clear my mind and find some peace amidst the chaos.

Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath and let the soothing melodies of the music we had played earlier wash over me. At that moment, surrounded by the familiar strains of the guitar and drums, I found a sense of calm and reassurance.

Whatever the future held, I knew I could face it with courage and resilience, bolstered by the love and support of my family. And as I drifted off to sleep, the music still echoing softly in my ears, I allowed myself to believe that perhaps, just perhaps, everything would turn out alright in the end.