Chapter Two

Chapter 2: Close Encounters   

"Your new seating arrangements," Mrs. Zetter announces in chem, "get used to them because you're going to be here for a while."  Her sloppy handwriting is on the board and my head pounds with anxiety.

I skip the top ones on the board to look straight to the bottom. 

Ben M. With Steve P. 

Garret S. with Vivian W. 

Kassie G. With...  Melvin D. (the lucky bastard) 

Cleo J. With Peter H. 

No, oh please no not her! (You may be wondering why I not too happy right now but if you knew Cleo you would too!)  She'll make me do all the work, torture me with humiliating comments about my look, and most importantly, she will talk about me behind my back with her boyfriends ( yes I did say boyfriends), and the whole school population. And that's not even the whole story yet, but I made my point.

The room is arranged with lab tables all facing towards the front smart board.  I find my seat which is located in the middle of the class room and am luckily right behind Kassie and her partner Melvin. 

Cleo finally sits besides me without a word but a glare of disgust instead. She chews on gum while texting underneath the table where the teacher can't see. It's hard to believe she's in advanced classes too. 

Kassie turns around to our table and smiles at Cleo then me. My cheeks rise with heat and I put my head down then shake my bangs over my forehead more. 

"Can you believe our seats?" Cleo says.

  "Cleo..." She hisses then says the most unexpected thing, "You should be grateful, Peter's really smart."  

"Uh, whatever. As soon as chemistry is done with it's all smooth sailing." Cleo exaggerates with her hands. 

Kassie's pink lips pull down from the edges a tiny bit and says, "Maybe for you. You'll be guaranteed admittance to the school of your dreams thanks to your dad. For me, it's a whole different story." 

I feel odd sitting here while they're talking.  Kassie lights up while talking about going to Princeton University.  I've known for a while that that's where she wants to go.

Her brown eyes open wider and seem to have a certain sparkle to them that you can't miss.  Her smile truly sparkles when discussing it.  "Peter, do you have any plans for after high school?" She asks unexpectedly.  Her brown eyes bore into mine with intent and curiosity.  I feel my breath catch a little bit at the sudden interaction.

I'm caught off guard and stumble with my words, "...Uhh... Yeah... Umm. I was thinking about going to school for forensics maybe." 

"I can completely imagine you doing that," Kassie nods,"I-" she is cut off before she is able to continue by the teacher.  Nooo, I was having an actual real conversation with her until the teacher decided we have to learn something.  Darn school.  Darn learning.  Darn education.

My chance has now dissolved in the air with the possibility of me being on Kassie's radar. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  The lunchroom welcomes me with the smell of melting cheese and chicken. The tables are lined up and down the whole room with people gathered at them.  I make my way over to my table near the back and am greeted by my friends. 

"I told you I would be partnered with some jock that can't even count.  I got Dean Bowman.  The guy who turns freaking left at a red light." Judy pouts. 

"What are you talking about?" asks Randal, the other person in our small group who has red hair and freckles everywhere you look who just gets here.  Randal hangs out with us every once in a while.  He also fits in a bit with the musical crowd.

"Chemistry" I say. 

"Ah, I have that third period. It's a pain but bearable." He finishes. 

"He's better than Cleo, Judy. Can you imagine me running around in a panic trying to get things done with the queen bee just doing her nails." I say over the sound of people in the lunchroom. 

"Hey, look who's arrived," said Gabe, and in walks my brother Mikey.   My brother is a senior and may be one of the most popular. The girls love his dimples and follow him like a magnet.  It doesn't hurt that he's in good shape too, and he has the same features as me. I will never be like him though.  His eyesight is a 10 out of 10 and there isn't a single red blimp on his face.

  "Hey guys, what's up?" He asks us as he saunters our way. The nice thing about Mikey is that he really doesn't care how people perceive him to be. 

"Not much," I say nonchalantly while everyone else is staring like he's the real Santa Clause.  

"Cool... well have fun." He says in a disturbed tone.  Mikey's eyes glance to Randal taking notes on him and Judy with a dazed expression on her face as if she's in a dream. 

"Yeah, see ya at home."   I go back to eating my peanut butter and jelly sandwich when everyone returns back to normal.  "You guys really need to act normal around Mikey or else you'll creep him out and he will never talk to us again." I scolded them, "Was it really necessary to take notes in him, Randal?"

"He's the perfect study for becoming popular.  Not to mention, we might do Grease this year for the musical and he'd be a perfect replication for Danny Zucco," He announces trying to defend himself.  

"He's not a test subject," declares Judy.

"Says the girl who had the look of stalker written all over her face," Randal said back.  I had to laugh a little at that and Judy then glared at me. 

Gabe is off in his own little world when he asks me,"How's the quest going?"

"The quest?" I repeat back confused.  

"You know the "quest"." He puts air quotes with his fingers and emphasizes the word quest. 

"Oh...it's coming I guess."  Quest is our code word for me trying to get Kassie's attention. We decided this after I told him a couple summers ago that I didn't want Judy to know. 

"What are you two talking about?" Asks Judy while she eats her chocolate pudding.  Gabe isn't exactly great at being reserved about the situation though.

"Yeah, what are you two talking about?" Randal jumps in. 

"Oh nothing" I try to put it off as unimportant. It doesn't help that I'm a terrible liar.

  "I swear, if it's one of those online gaming quest, you're only helping to stereotype us as uncool and nerds," Judy says annoyingly. 

I hear laughter coming from a table a couple tables away.  No wonder, there's my brother and Kassie with her boyfriend next to her.

I lean on my hand and secretly wish I was over there.  Kassie slowly turns her head and sees me. She gives me a small smile that makes my heart melt. She turns away again.  Was she looking at me?

I turn and look in different directions only to see my friends involved in their own conversation about the latest show of Dr. Who.  

Even if she wasn't looking at me, I still feel an indescribable feeling rising up my spine giving me small shivers of excitement. If I was Brandon, I would be the luckiest guy in the world.