Chapter Twenty-Three

"I still can't get over the fact that Mikey and Kassie are dating,"  says Tanner while unwrapping his bologna sandwich.  

"I know right?"  Gabe inputs.  "I knew they were friends before, but it never seemed more than that."

"I'm over and done with it," I simply state.

Everyone's eyes are suddenly on me at the table.  I sigh, "Okay I'm not.  But it's not like I can change anything."

I glance over at Mikey and Kassie; they're sitting at one of the round tables laughing with other friends.  Mikey's arm is around Kassie's shoulder and it's the littlest thing that kills me on the inside.  I don't know what I'd do if I saw them actually lock lips.  

The frustration swells inside not only my heart but my entire body.  It's just not fair.  Am I happy that my brother is happy?  I mean sure.  But out of all the people he could have chosen as one of the most liked guys in the school, he had to pick the one I had eyes on.  I'm beginning to run out of sighs to give.

"So is anyone excited for spirit week coming up?"  Judy asks to redirect the silence.

My high school, "Little Bankerville High,"  real original, I know; almost like I'm in a book or something, has a  spirit week to congratulate our football team each year, whether they did well or not.  This year we made it to the playoffs.  There's only a couple more games, hint the spirit week to help gather the pep.

"Same old same old," Gabe shrugs his shoulders.  "Does your cousin Tyler even know what that is?"

Thinking back since this is Tyler's first year, "Probably not, he's in for it a little surprise."  

"Ha-Ha freshman Friday might be rough for him.  I hope he gets pied."  Judy laughs.  

"He's not a freshman though,"  Tanner adds.

"No, but some of the girls and I have a little surprise for him," Judy has a mischievous smirk on her face as she looks back down at her lunch.  "He's been up to no good with some girls lately and I want to help put an end to that."

Wow, I would not want to mess with Judy.  Or girls period.  The smart ones are especially scary, not only can they kick you in the balls, but they can figure out some kind of bloody plan to take away all your man hair with a made up formula, and next thing you know you're waking up in a Victoria Secret store window just as smooth as the pictured models. 

"What'd he do this time?"  I ask.

Judy pauses for a minute, clearly debating whether or not she wants to tell us.  "He actually asked me out on a date."  She rolls her eyes, "Like I'd really fall for whatever plan he has going on.  I know he's dark and twisted on the inside."

"He does tend to think about himself, but every now and then he can have a good intention."

She shrugs her shoulders, "Whatever, I just told him that I had no interest, and I don't need to be a joke around school right now."

I know the feeling of wanting to stay far away from the school gossip.  Heck, it's basically how I survive at life here at Bankerville.  Although I haven't succeeded from that fight with Brandon and being humiliated multiple times.  Old news by now kind of. 

Speaking of the devil, Brandon comes up with a couple of his jock buddies, and throws a sweat-shirt  down in the middle of the table. 

"30 bucks for each class sweatshirt.  Support the football team and wear them for the game next week."  He crosses his muscular arms at the end of his short sales pitch.  His brown eyes squint at the end, daring us to refuse his offer.