Blue

The night was buzzing with excitement. Just looking around the bar, you could tell how excited the people were. It was the end of the semester's exams, a time to celebrate, let loose and not glance through your books for another two weeks. Who wouldn't be excited?

Kate glanced at the people dancing as she served from behind the counters. Working on a night of freedom wasn't anyone's wish. Except Kate wasn't just anyone. She needed the money that badly and couldn't miss out on the tips that would come tonight. Guys gave out a lot of cash when they were drunk. Now she multitasked with attending to the customers, watching the dance floor and listening to her talkative best friend sitting in front of her.

"Elle!" Kate whined for the hundredth time. It was hard to work when your best friend kept yelling in your ears.

"Just have a drink with me. One drink" Noelle put up one of her perfectly manicured fingers in her face.

"It can never just be one drink with you"

"Then two" she squealed.

Kate rolled her eyes at her with a chuckle.

"Come on Kat" Noelle started again. "You worked all week, even during the exams. And now that the exams are over, you're still working?"

Kate shook her head. She was about to answer when she felt a presence behind her.

"Kate, Noelle"

She turned around to meet her boss and the owner of the bar, James.

"Hi," Kate greeted.

James could be a bit uptight when he saw you were talking instead of working so Kate scooted away from them.

"Hello Noelle"

Kate groaned on hearing the flirty tone in James' voice. It was despicable for a man like him, probably in his mid-thirties, to be flirting with a second-year college student. Well, James had had a crush on Noelle for a while now, he didn't even try to hide it most times. But honestly, a lot of guys had a crush on Noelle. Her curvy body and model-like face had boys drooling wherever she went.

"Mr. James" Noelle called in the same flirty tone.

Kate sent a glare to her. Noelle never flirted back with any guy except she needed something. And she could just guess what this friend of hers was about to request.

'Don't you dare do it' her eyes spoke to Noelle but her friend just gave her a slutty smile and faced James with a believing sad look on her face.

Unbelievable!

"Hey, sweetie, what's wrong?" James asked worriedly.

Kate seethed and attended to the customer in front of her. The music in the bar was really loud so she strained her ear to listen to their conversation.

"Oh, it's nothing" Noelle shook her head and put up a fake smile.

It was so fake that you would know it was fake. And Kate knew she was doing this on purpose so James could meet her demand. She glared at her. Sometimes it didn't pay to have an actress friend. Noelle wanted to be an actress and she was so good at acting. So damn good.

"You can talk to me sweetie," James said softly.

And that was the last straw for Noelle. She gave Kate a knowing smile before facing James with the sad look again.

"It's just...it's Kat!"

"Kate?" James glared at Kate who just looked away from him.

"You never give her a day off" Noelle started to whine. "She never has fun, never hangs out with me. I mean, just look around. It's the end of the semester and she's working?! I'm so devastated right now. Who do I drink with?"