but

It was almost 10 p.m. when Kate got into the city. She had managed to survive a 3-hour journey without breaking down and crying in the middle of the road. Her head ached and the only thing she could think of was having a strong drink. She couldn't go to the bar because it was already too late and there were no drinks back at the apartment.

She cleaned her eyes and fishing into her back pocket, brought out a crumpled piece of paper. It was the same jeans she had worn that night when Dylan dropped his number so the paper was still there.

She unfolded the paper and picked up her phone as she dialled the number. Putting it on speaker, she focused on the road.

"Hello?" The voice came out cracked.

There was no noise in the background and Kate was a little bummed that the party didn't hold again. She needed a drink.

"Hi, it's Kate"

There was silence for a while before Dylan spoke again. "Oh bartender chic, what's up?"

"Uh, I wanted to ask if the offer for the party still stands."

"Ofcourse it does. I was just out to get more booze. Do you mind telling me where you are so we can go together?"

She smiled at the mention of booze. Gosh, she was acting like a real psycho right now.

"No, just send me the address. I'm with a car"

"Alright, I'll send it right now"

He hung up and the text with the address came in a few seconds later. Kate smiled, knowing that she was surely going to get drunk soon.

***

Kate parked the car a few blocks away from the frat house. The last thing she wanted was for some drunken guys to bash the car and then she would get screamed at by Noelle.

The music was loud enough to reach where she was. That was saying something because she wasn't that close to the house yet. She sure hoped the neighbours wouldn't call the cops on them for the noise. Well not until she drank her fill and left.

Kate cleaned her face as she walked to the party. She didn't want to go in looking like she had been crying for 3hours.

"Kate!"

A loud honk came from behind her and she turned around.

She struggled to see who it was with the car headlights flashing in her face.

"Kate" footsteps approached her and she almost got the idea that her dad had followed her.

Almost.

"Dylan" she smiled seeing the dimpled guy infront of her.

"Hi. You look um..."

She followed his line of sight to her outfit. She was still wearing her coat over her shirt.

"Oh," she chuckled and pulled it off.

Good thing she was wearing a cute crop top underneath it.

"Now that's better" Dylan grabbed her coat and started walking back to his car. "Come on, let's go"

"Uhm, I'll rather walk. You should too. The house is not far and you probably don't want anyone ruining your car"

"Not my car though but you're right" he dropped her coat in the car and walked back to her with two boxes of alcohol.

They walked for about 2 minutes before reaching the house.

Kate couldn't help but look around as they walked. People were making out at every spot, someone throwing up in a bush, someone throwing up on the floor, cigarette smoke puffing everywhere. This was exactly why she didn't like parties. But today, she was just going to try.