always

A huge smile grew on her face as she read the text. Very unexpectedly, Alec had texted back!

"What is it?" Damien asked.

She slowly tore her gaze from her phone. Did he expect her to tell him the reason behind her smile? And then have the whole world know about it the next day? No, thank you.

Before she could sass at him that it was none of his business, a loud knock came on the door. It was more like banging than knocking.

"Hello! It's been seven minutes already"

Kate chuckled at Brianna's screeching jealous voice. As far as the game was concerned, weren't they supposed to wait at least two minutes before checking on the people in the room?

"I guess your seven minutes in heaven is up, Damien," she said in a mocking tone.

He watched her, confused, as she walked to the door. Kate could only feel pride as she walked out of the room. She had said no to his charming tactics—even though she was only saved by a text and Brianna's jealousy.

An ordinary Katherine Nervoh had refused the great Damien Carter? This was a story she would carry on to her generation. She laughed at her thoughts as she joined Noelle in her seat.

Most of the guys were smiling as she joined them—except Justin and Dylan. She could understand why Justin was looking at her with a frown. He was obviously upset that she had finally moved on from him, even if she hadn't exactly moved on to someone else—but he didn't need to know that. And Dylan? There was a look on his face as he looked at her. Like he was trying to read her or know her every thought.

She shrugged as the games and drinking went on, dismissing the constant side glances from Noelle. For once, a party had ended without drama for her. And even better, Alec texted.

***

Two good things had happened to Kate at that party, rejecting Damien and getting a text from Alec. But now it looked like one of those things had just been temporal because Alec didn't text again after that night. Kate was beyond worried sick.

Alec's last text was a long 'Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Kateeeeeeeeeeee'.

Her sister was clearly not upset with her for leaving the house that night. So what would make her not respond?

"Kat" Noelle nudged her again.

They were at the cafe and a customer was waiting impatiently as Kate held his drink from his reach.

"Oh sorry" she mumbled and handed him his cup.

"What's wrong with you, girl?"

"It's Alec" Kate sighed and checked her phone. This would be the fiftieth time she would be checking it since she got behind the counter.

"There's nothing to be worried about. She's probably occupied with school" Noelle said and snuck a mini cupcake into her mouth.

"I guess" Kate sighed again.

"Kat! Kat!" Noelle whisper-shouted as she tapped Kate's shoulder.

Kate ignored her and continued staring at her phone. What had made this girl so excited now?

"Something hot just walked in. Something hot!"

"Katherine"

Her brain, paused as she tried to sink in who just called her. It sounded like that British boy but it couldn't possibly be him. What would he be doing at the cafe?

"Hi Kate, Noelle"

Kate looked up. Dylan was smiling at her while Damien looked like he just got out of bed. His whole grey sweatpants-singlet-ruffled hair getup said it all.