second chance.

Kate stretched as she walked out of her last class for the day. Just a week of resumption and her legs and arms were already aching from walking and taking down notes.

Parker walked out after her. He was also as tired as she was, except that apart from the stress, he totally and completely hated the class. He was studying law because of his dad and Kate couldn't understand one bit of it. Why do something you don't love just because your parent asked you to? What happened to individual dreams and goals?

She knew she would never do something just because her parents wanted her to, they didn't even care about what she did anyway. She sighed and rubbed her face.

"What's wrong?" Parker asked as they walked side by side.

"Nothing. Um, I'm going to see my dad tomorrow"

He gave her a full smile. "Now that's a good step to reconciliation. I'm proud of you, Kate"

"I'm not reconciling so don't be"

She had only gotten in touch with her dad a few months ago after he had abandoned her years back. He had left her in the worst situation possible. She couldn't just forget all the years he wasn't there just because he waltzed back into her life. She was only going to see him because he had been asking her for a while and where he was currently staying was just a three-hour journey from school.

"Well you're taking a step to it" Parker rubbed her head and she glared at him.

He was just an inch or two taller than her. He shouldn't even be considered taller, they were practically the same height. Just that he was a guy so comparing his broad and manly features to her slim body, he looked very much bigger than her.

She slapped his hand away from her head.

"Ouch," Parker rubbed the back of his palm. "Naughty Kate" he scolded and laughed when she slapped him again.

***
Parker and Noelle were in the sitting room working on Noelle's assignment while Kate made dinner in the kitchen. Noelle needed someone to help with a seminar presentation and Parker was just the right guy. He was a computer genius and loved what he did. Another reason Kate couldn't understand why he gave up on his nerdy dream and chased after his dad's.

"Omg! Thanks, Par!" Noelle yelled from the sitting room and Kate guessed they were done.

Soon they both trooped into the kitchen just as she was dishing out the food.

"Mmm that looks good" Parker called as he looked over her in the frying pan. "Can I -have-" he paused when she gave him a stern look.

"Go back home, Par" she said.

"Come on, I don't have any food at home"

"That's a lie. Tyler cooks"

Tyler was Parker's roommate. They also shared a two-bedroom apartment.

"Come on, Kate!" Parker whined and turned to Noelle. "I helped you with your assignment, beg her"

Noelle sucked in through her teeth before shaking her head. "I'm sorry, Par. But when Kat cooks, I just have to be greedy"

Kate laughed before dishing another plate for Parker. She would have loved to keep this going and argue with him on food but she had to pack up for her trip tomorrow.

"Yes!" Parker jumped as she handed him a plate. "I knew you couldn't resist my charm"

She scoffed and they all surrounded the counter in the middle of the kitchen to eat.

"So there's this party tomorrow" Noelle announced gleefully as she looked from Kate to Parker. "It's at the frat house"

How does Noelle get invited to every party on campus?