than

Kate could only look around in confusion as she walked into the hospital. Noelle was right beside her, talking to Parker on the phone. They had practically teleported here because Noelle drove crazy fast.

She noticed a young girl in a ponytail. Alec.

"Kate!" Alec ran and embraced her. Alec's eyes were puffy so she had probably been crying for a long time. Kate cleaned her sister's face.

"Hey, I'm here. It's okay"

Alec nodded and faced the ward door again.

Kate let out a sigh. What had her dad been thinking? Going into drinking again? Was he trying to die and leave Alec all alone? She could only feel anger as she looked at the doctors attending to him in the ward. Call her wicked, but she felt like yelling at him and telling him how irresponsible and selfish he was. She knew how scared Alec was, having to think that she would lose another parent too.

But deep down, she was just as scared of losing her dad.

"I finally convinced him not to come" Noelle said as she joined them.

Kate nodded. Parker could be stubborn at times and she didn't want him getting worried if he should come.

"Here"

She looked up as Tyler handed Alec a glass of water. He really was her big brother figure.

"Hi, Kate" He smiled. He turned to Noelle and then back to her.

"Oh, sorry. This is Noelle. Noelle, Tyler" she introduced simply.

"I'm Kat's favourite person" Noelle said proudly as she shook Tyler's stretched out hand.

Kate rolled her eyes. Atleast she wasn't saying 'bestest bitch'

"How's he?" She asked Tyler.

Tyler looked towards the ward door and at Alec's devastated face.

"He's good"

That was a lie.

Kate nodded.

She left Alec with Noelle a while later as she and Tyler went outside for a talk.

"So, how exactly is he?" She asked again.

Tyler sighed heavily and rubbed the back of his head, "His liver condition has gotten worse. They think its cirrhosis. I don't know shit about that stuff but it sounded serious."

It was.

Kate nodded and looked at the dark skies. It was already 8p.m. The air was cold on her skin but she didn't try to cuddle her jacket even though she was shivering.

What was she supposed to do now? Cr All these years of being without him and now... was it because she left that night? She sniffed.

There would be no tears. Sure the medical bills would pile up even more and she might have to be coming over frequently to check up on Alec, but she would get through with it. She had survived Steve so she would survive this too.

"It's pretty cold, we should go inside, Kate"

Tyler wrapped his arm around her shoulder and led her inside.

"Kate!" Alec was hopping around excitedly as she came in with Tyler.

Kate looked at Noelle who just smiled and pointed at the door.

"He's conscious now" Alec sighed in relief.  "Gosh, I was so scared."

"You can go in and see him" Kate gave her a warm smile.