scars.

Kate marveled as she walked into the basketball court. The place was packed. It was her first time being here for a game. Yes, she had dated Justin. And yes, he had been a part of the team then. But he always had an excuse for why she couldn't come for a game or while she couldn't watch his practice—because he had another girlfriend to do that for him. Literally. And she had never been interested anyway, so she didn't bother about not being there.

"I see Parker!" Noelle yelled and dragged her to the almost occupied seats.

They sat in the middle rows, the view from there was perfect. Parker was already with the coach and his other team. He looked nervous but she could tell he was enjoying it.

The game started and the cheers from around when Damien dunked a ball in the opposing team's basket was deafening. Kate closed her ears as she looked around. Noelle was screaming along with the other girls while shaking her arm. It was barely five minutes into the game and this guy had already scored?

She watched as Damien looked around, eyes searching. He smiled as his eyes caught hers and then smoothened his shiny brown hair with his hand before chasing the ball again.

Kate rolled her eyes with a scoff.

A long game later, the two teams were at a draw with only a few seconds left till the end of the game. Kate could feel the tension as she squeezed her knees, wondering what would happen next. The opposing team was really good too so it could be a loss for them.

Parker dribbled the ball and made a pass to a guy who ran across the court to Damien on the other team's side.

Everything seemed to move in slow motion as Damien was surrounded by the guys from the other team on the sidelines.

Noelle was still squeezing her arm as they both bit their lips in anticipation.

Damien had a great advantage, he was taller than most of the guys around him. He tried to maneuver around the guys but there was no way so he shot the ball high. People were on their feet as the ball moved

5... 4... 3...

Loud cheers of victory went around as the ball entered into the net. They had won by 3 points. Kate was on her feet cheering loudly with the others. It was a thrilling moment.

"That was amazing!" Noelle yelled as they left their seat to meet the other guys.

Kate stood at a distance to check her phone again. Even though it looked like everything was okay, they weren't. Alec hadn't yet texted back. She had sent a hundred messages but still no reply from her little stepsister.

"Katherine"

She quickly shoved her phone into her pocket and faced Damien.

"Hey"

"You came"

"Yeah...you know how Parker is"

Damien nodded and ran his hand through his hair.

She used the opportunity to look at him. Really look at him. Yes, she had seen him shirtless before, but something about him in a singlet and shorts was inviting. His strong muscular arms glistened with sweat and the girls around just kept whispering and staring. He also had nice long legs. Very long legs. And the way the lights around bounced off his dark blue orbs, they looked a lighter shade now.

"Katherine?"

"Yes?" She looked up at him and he already had that smile on his face again.

Dammit.

"I asked if you would come for the party later" he said with his smile still on.

Another party, oh hell no.