the hell

Fridays were the best times Kate liked to be in the library. The other students who worked with her chose other days for their night shifts but Kate loved Friday nights. It meant that not a lot of people would be at the library which meant she could focus on reading and catching up on assignments.

Yes, it was a nerdy wish but with almost everyone out partying and doing stuff, it was a great wish for her.

"Kate"

She looked up from the book she was currently engrossed in at the librarian, Rye— she was a young woman in her thirties, with shiny dark hair and bold green eyes. She was really pretty and loved to smile but was also somewhat strict.

"Hi Rye"

"Hey, are you done with your assignments?"

She looked at her book. She hadn't even gone halfway yet because she kept thinking about a certain someone who was probably still doing nasty things with a redhead at a party. But of course, she wasn't going to tell Rye that.

"Uh, almost"

"Great" Rye smiled. "Can you check the second floor for any more books around? These people don't just know where the shelves are anymore."

Kate nodded and moved to the stairs.

"Oh, and Kate?" Rye called making Kate turn to her. "I think there's a kid up there. He's been there for hours. Please check if he's actually doing something useful and not making out with girls" She frowned.

Kate laughed. Rye was strictly against the students making out in the library. She said it was defacing the property and insulting to the books around. But no matter how many times she tried to stop it, people still did it, sometimes even while she was there.

She got to the second floor and started to pack up some books left by the students. Some were even lying carelessly on the floor. She wondered if there was anyone on the floor because it was so quiet. There were a few first-year students on the ground floor so maybe whichever 'kid' Rye thought was up here had gone downstairs and joined his mates.

She moved around the shelves, putting the books in their places, and paused when she smelt something funny.

Cigarette smoke.

So there was a kid here and he was smoking? Kate moved around the shelves to the end of the hall where the smell was coming from. She stopped in her tracks on seeing a boy with a cigarette in his mouth, several books around him on the table, and a pair of glasses on the bridge of his nose.

His brown hair was ruffled and kept falling over his eyes. He looked frustrated as he removed his hair from his face. Finally, he looked up at her and that's when she really stopped.

Damien.

There was silence as his gaze was still fixed on her. Kate didn't know what to say. The only thing in her head was how he had kissed her breathless. Literally. She unconsciously brought her finger to her lip and Damien's lips stretched in a smile.

Asshole.

"No smoking in the library!" The words came out of her with thought.

"Shit" he cursed and dropped the stick on the floor.

"Are you trying to start a fire?!" She yelled and moved to squash the stick with her foot.

"No" he answered simply. "What are you doing here? Stalking me, doll?" He smirked.

"I work here" she answered with an eye roll.

"You work here" he repeated.

She wanted to counter back but her eyes drifted to his face.