to people

Kate jumped as she turned to Damien. He had startled her. She swallowed as she looked at him. She should have left here sooner. First, it was a bunch of guys in singlets, and now this guy?

Damien was in a singlet as the other guys but he was still a little wet, probably from that shower Dylan talked about. His hair stuck to his forehead and a towel hung around his neck.

Gosh, she wanted to be a towel.

She shook her head wildly. What the hell was that?

"Cat's caught your tongue, Kat?"

He was calling her 'Kat' but it didn't sound as good as him calling her 'Katherine' did.

"I'll just leave. I have a class"

"I believe your class isn't till three?

"How did...?"

She spotted Parker waving behind Damien. He winked at her before continuing his talk with the other guys.

Ass.

"Let's have lunch before your class"

She waited but Damien didn't say anything more. No, 'please'? Was this a request or a command?

"No"

"You must really enjoy rejecting me, Katherine"

"I do" she smiled.

She really did.

"It's just lunch. There's nothing to be scared of"

"I'm not scared. I just don't want another girl calling me out on all the bad things I've done if I'm seen with you"

Damien placed his hand on his chest.

"I know your reputation, Carter," she said with an eye roll.

He smiled at her using his surname.

Folding his arms, he asked, "And what exactly is my reputation, Katherine?"

Did he really want to know?

He was still giving her that teasing smile. God, she wanted to slap that look off his face.

"That you're a man whore"

Ha, take that.

His smile slowly faded. Not in a way that you knew he was joking about it and feigning hurt. No, this time, he looked hurt. Really hurt.

Suddenly she felt like bringing the smile back to his face again.

Say something, Damien.

But he didn't. His face just had that frozen awkward smile.

"I mean--"

"Damien!"

She was interrupted by the coach's loud voice. When had he even gotten here?

Damien nodded at the coach and walked away from her. He didn't even give her an apologetic smile or a sassy 'bye Katherine'. She felt stiff as she watched his muscled back join the rest of the team.

Had she just said something wrong?

Curse your brutality,  Kate.

She could only quietly leave the gym. She would just talk to him later.

***

It seemed like a long time she hadn't spoken to Damien but it had only been two days. Kate didn't know why she was so worried. Her instinct just told her she owed him an apology but she hadn't seen him around for a while.