First Day Of Work

Your heavy eyes opened, and for once, they were not blinded by rays of light.
(Fake eyes open, 또 속아버린 아픔)

After taking a few moments to rest, you sat up in your bed, reflecting on the day ahead. Casting your gaze around the room, you spotted familiar objects-an old laptop and a flip phone. "Ah... I have work today..." you thought to yourself.

Motivated by the realization, you reluctantly left the comfort of your bed and made your way toward your newly arranged desk. As you settled down, you began organizing your belongings. Suddenly, a realization struck you, and you immediately stood up, frantically searching your room.

It was nowhere to be found.

In a state of panic, you dashed out of your room, scouring every corner you could recall. Maybe you left it in the medical room? But without any idea of its location, you headed toward the living room and dining area. Upon entering the den, you discovered Seungmin, sipping his morning coffee. Relief washed over you, and you let out a quick sigh.

"Are you alright? You look terrified." Seungmin asked with a hint of laughter. After a swift search, you responded to Seungmin's inquiry, "I start work today, and I can't find the paper you wrote for me. Can you please rewrite it?" With a hopeful expression, you sat down beside him, making a praying gesture. Seungmin rolled his eyes, setting down his coffee and indulging your plea.

Reaching into his bag, he retrieved a notebook and a pen. Seungmin swiftly transcribed everything he had written before, adding a few extra tips. When he finished, he neatly folded the paper and looked at you. "Are you going to lose it again?" he quipped. Shaking your head, eager to start your day, you disregarded his remark. Seungmin, however, continued to gaze at you with an impassive expression. You frowned, politely asking for the paper. This time, he responded with a teasing smile, causing your face to flush.

"What do I get out of it? All this extra work for free..." His words caught you off guard, embarassing you at what he was hinting at. To hide your embarrassment, you jokingly swatted his arm, but as you pulled away, he playfully grabbed your wrist, drawing you closer. He reclined on the sofa, and you inadvertently landed on top of him, your face coming to rest against his chest. His hand, once grasping your wrist, now pressed against your waist, drawing you nearer. As you lifted your face, you noticed a small gap between you two.

"Seungmin..." you whispered, observing him as he smiled sweetly. His smile caused your heart to skip a beat, and although you didn't realize it immediately, your body instinctively leaned into him. As your lips met and your eyes fluttered closed, a sense of warmth and safety enveloped you. The kiss was a blur, and you couldn't recall how long it lasted, but when you finally pulled away, you had to catch your breath. Seungmin appeared slightly surprised but then smiled, emitting a soft laugh.

"I was going to do that." he confessed. You smiled back, feeling a mix of emotions.

***

Work progressed smoothly, thanks to the paper Seungmin had prepared for you. Although you blushed whenever you thought about the kiss, you couldn't help but admire how quickly he had jotted down all the necessary information and memorized it flawlessly.

However, there was something else you had noticed. During your work calls, you often experienced anxiety, particularly due to the unsettling background noises. For instance, when you called Felix to provide the location of Hyunjin, you heard screams and gunshots in the background. Strangely enough, Felix seemed completely unfazed, even cheerful to speak with you. It all felt eerie and unnatural.

After some time, Chan called, informing you that your first day was over and they could handle the rest themselves. A profound sigh of relief escaped your lips, as if you had been holding your breath the entire time. Despite it being your first day, you felt a sense of familiarity, as if you had been doing this your whole life. As you stood up, stretching your limbs, a wave of relaxation washed over you. It was then that you realized you hadn't eaten all day, and darkness had settled outside.

With a weary sigh, you left your room and made your way toward the dining room and kitchen. To your surprise, you found Jisung sitting alone at the empty table, enjoying a bowl of instant noodles with rice and an egg. A smile tugged at your lips, and you happily took a seat across from him, eager to hear about his day. Startled by your sudden presence, Jisung jumped slightly, but his mouthful of food didn't hinder his sweet smile. He was utterly adorable, resembling a squirrel, and your heart melted at the sight of him.