4. When I met her... again

I dived into my dressing room to find something suitable for my city trip with Paige. We did it regularly, taking my beloved car, the Camaro. Back then, we thought the whole world was ours. We went to different places, to pubs for some good lunch, but most of the time we spent on the cliff, lying on a blanket, holding hands and staring at the stars. Sometimes we'd fall asleep together, snuggled together with a sense of security. However, one time our trip to the cliff was not the same as always. We were sitting across from each other, Paige staring me in the eyes.
'Emily, we need to talk,' she said to me.
'What's the matter? What happened?' I knew it wouldn't be good.
'We have to stop seeing each other, at least this way.'
'Why? Did I do something wrong?'
Paige sighed.
'I just met someone. A boy. He's great and charming and I really like him. He asked me out on a date.'
'And what did you say?' but I knew the answer before it came out of my beloved's mouth.
'I agreed. His name is Derek and you need to know...'
I didn't want to hear it. I snapped and ran, leaving her alone on the cliff. I cried all the way home. I knew our relationship wasn't gonna last forever, but it hurt me that Paige dumped me for some guy. My world is over.
If only I'd known how right I was then.

***

Memories of Paige brought a few tears to my eyes. I sat by her grave and wished our relationship had not ended like this before she died. I know she didn't mean to hurt me then, but what is love without pain? Especially the first one.
It was getting dark so I decided to go home. I had to walk back. My car, a Camaro, had been parked in a city parking lot unused for over two years. I didn't have the courage to get in it, it woke up my nightmares and bad memories. Maybe someday I will dare, but for now I have legs.
I left the cemetery and started walking towards the house. I didn't get very far when suddenly a black Camaro appeared next to me. Very similar to mine, and only one person in this town had one.
'Are you following me, Derek?' I asked, not slowing down and not looking in his direction.
'Let's just say I was nearby. What are you doing here alone at this time?' Derek asked as he leaned out of the car and drove slowly to be beside me. Yes, exactly.
'I was visiting an old friend.' I said truthfully.
'Why don't you call your brother or Stiles?' Wow Derek, why didn't I think of that?
'They had something to do, something wolfish.' Derek stopped the car and so did I. He opened the passenger door.
'Jump in, I'll drive you home.'
'No need.'
'I have to have a few words with you anyway.' I sighed. This car did not evoke pleasant memories.
'I do not bite.' Derek looked at me seriously. I couldn't help but laugh. Derek smiled at me. Gosh, he was so cute with a smile on his face! I hesitated a bit but decided to get in his car. I fastened my seat belts and off we went.
'About that bite... You didn't bite Scott, did you?' I asked looking at Derek.
'How do you know it's not me?' Contra. Okay.
'I feel so. There's another werewolf, right?' Derek nodded slowly.
'It's called Alpha. He is the most dangerous of our species. Me and Scott are betas. He's really dangerous. You can't walk alone now. I'm serious.'
I looked at Derek. He had his hands on the steering wheel.
'Why are you so worried about me?' I asked him.
'I just don't want you on my conscience'.
'But you can have Stiles on your conscience?'
'That's different.'
'How?'
Derek gripped the steering wheel even tighter. We were already at my house. I don't know why but I had to tell him.
'So, about Paige. And listen to me carefully now. What happened to her wasn't your fault' I looked into his eyes 'Do you know how happy she was with you?'
'How would you know that?' I knew he didn't believe me. I put everything on one card.
'Did Paige tell you about the girl she broke up with for you?'
'Yes, she seems to have been through a lot.' Derek looked sad.
I got out of his car before I said, 'I was that girl. Good night Derek.' He seems shocked. I didn't want to say anything more to him. These were my private  things. I don't know why, but I found a friend from painful experiences in him. Still, I didn't want to tell him anything. Maybe another time.

Derek's pov:

I was shocked. I didn't know Paige and Emily knew each other. Moreover, I had no idea they were a couple. Does that mean Emily prefers girls? No it is not possible. This can not be. I wouldn't survive it. But if they were together, they must have known each other well.
I loved Paige, very much, but when I met Emily, that's when I learned the definition of love. Even though I didn't spend much time with her, I knew she was great. I had to protect her from the alpha. He couldn't hurt her.
I came home only to run into the police. I was arrested for the murder of that girl in the woods. My God, she's my sister. How could I kill my own sister?
I noticed Emily was standing a bit further away with Scott and Stiles. They always got her into trouble. And they were very protective of her. I wonder why. Something must have happened to her. I have to ask her. If she won't tell me, I'll have to steal the file from the police.

Emily's pov:

I felt guilty. I know it wasn't my fault, but just being here made me feel guilty.
Stiles wanted to go to the police car Derek was in. He started dragging me with him. We got in the front and Derek looked at Stiles.
I raised my hands in surrender.
'I had nothing to do with it.'
I said right away. Derek nodded as if he believed me.
'I'm not afraid of you.'
Stiles said looking at Derek. I burst out laughing loudly. Stiles gave me a killer look while Derek smiled at me. He approached Stiles' face.
'Okay, maybe I'm scared though.'
Stiles whispered.
'But that girl you killed was a different kind of wolf. That's why you buried her under that flower?'
'Why do you care about me? You can't let Scott play Saturday's game. If he changes in front of everyone, we're in trouble. You can stop him.'
I wanted to say something but Stiles' dad pulled us out of the car and told us to drive home. He must have had enough of our meddling.
I noticed they were taking half of the body they found at Derek's property. I went to see them. I didn't expect that.
'It's Laura!' I shouted. I felt bad.
'What? Who?' Stiles asked.
'Laura Hale. My Alpha. I think I'm going to vomit.'

______

How you like it? What do you think gonna happen next?