24. When he returned

Emily spent a few days at Talia's house, helping her clean and cook.

She did not tell Derek that she had overheard his conversation with her mother. She couldn't. She didn't even know what to think.

On the one hand, she was happy to hear Derek's declaration, but on the other hand, she was afraid of it.

She knew that she was not an easy person and that life with her would be a roller coaster. She wanted some stability in her life, but she wasn't sure if she deserved it.

This is what it looked like. Two opposing thoughts in one minute. Conflicting emotions.

'Hey, are you listening to me? '

Emily lifted her head and looked at Derek. He had been saying something to her for a while and she wasn't listening.

'Sorry, I was thinking. What were you saying? '

'I was talking about the loft that I bought. '

'Oh.'

'I asked if you wanted to come and see it. '

'Yeah, sure. '

***

The apartment Derek had recently purchased was large and spacious. There was a large open plan living room with large panoramic windows and a fully functional kitchen.

Thanks to the fact that the apartment was on the 20th floor, the entire city could be seen through the windows.

There was a large balcony next to the living room, and the second floor had several bedrooms and two bathrooms.

'Nice. Big. ' Emily spoke up.

'When do you start that nursing course? '

'I don't know. I'm still looking for a job to earn it, but hardly anyone wants to hire me because of this claw mark on my neck. I don't look representative. '

'Bastard. You look very good.'

Emily smiled at Derek.

'I think the walls here need painting. '

'Can you help me pick out the colors? '

'Sure. '

***

They drove to the store together to pick out the items they needed. Emily had no idea why Derek wanted her to help him.

Maybe it had something to do with what she had heard a few days ago? Anyway, she was glad that he had asked her for help and not Erica, for example.

'When are you going to see your kids?' asked Emily, standing in front of the colors.

Derek raised his eyebrows.

'Kids? '

'Erica, Isaac, Boyd.'

Derek laughed.

'Ah, those kids. Today. Would you like to join me? '

Emily nodded. She realized that she was spending practically all her time with Derek now, and she was afraid that he would eventually get bored, no matter what he told his mother.

She had to start spending more time with other people. With Lydia, for example. Or with Stiles and Scott. They used to be inseparable. Scott hadn't even spoken to her in days. He was busy meeting with Allison in secret.

'Which do you think looks better, cream or white?' asked Emily, showing Derek the two colors.

Derek looked at her confused. He put his hand to the back of his head.