6. When we talked

Scott's pov

We searched for Emily for the rest of the day. We were driving Derek's car because it was much faster than Stiles' Jeep.
'Derek' I said, 'I was supposed to pick up Ems from work yesterday after my game. I feel totally guilty because Allison made me completely forget about her. If only I remembered that she had to work late yesterday...'
I buried my head in my hands. I was a complete idiot. I'm still an idiot. My sister should be number one. No girl should turn my head like that.
'Where does she work?' Derek asked.
Stiles poked his head out of the backseat.
'At Lucas' bar.'
'It's out of town.' Derek said.
'That's why I had to pick her up. So she wouldn't have to walk back.' I said looking at the road.
'She doesn't have a license?'
'She does, she has a car too, but after those guys attacked her, she left her car in the city parking lot and pays for space every now and then.'
'I see. She must have bad memories of her car if she doesn't want to drive it.'
I nodded.
'They attacked her there. They broke into her car outside the store. And then... I don't want to talk about it.'
Derek nodded as if he understood that I didn't want to continue this topic. We arrived at the bar where Emily works. I went inside.
'Hey Scott.'
I was greeted by Mary, my sister's work colleague. 'Hi. Stupid thing. Was Emily at work yesterday?'
'Yes, she left after midnight. Why do you ask, something happened?'
'No no. We just had a fight and Ems won't talk to me. She's not at home and she didn't tell me where she was going. Maybe she said something to you?' Mary shook her head.
'No, she didn't say anything. She was cheerful as always. Some guy was hitting on her, saying he could take care of her after work.'
I froze.
'What? How? What did Ems tell him?'
'She refused. She said there was already someone to take care of her after work.'
'Oh... She didn't tell me anything about it... All right, I'll wait for her at home. Thanks for the help.'
I waved goodbye to Mary and got into Derek's car. I told Stiles what I heard at the bar.
'Nothing new.' Stiles stated.
'I'm listening?' Derek thundered, looking at Stiles with an angry expression. What was he up to? About Em?
'Well, I mean, it's nothing new that Em's getting hit on. In case you haven't noticed, she's hot as hell and no guy can walk past her indifferently.'
Derek nodded.
'You're right.' Derek said thoughtfully.
I put my hands up.
'Hey! We're talking about my sister!'
Stiles opened his mouth to say something when his phone rang. He took it out of his pocket. He looked at the display.
'Emily is calling!' he shouted happily.
'Pick up and put on loudspeaker!' I shouted. 'And don't say we are here. There's a reason he's calling you and not me.'
Stiles nodded and picked up the phone.
'Hey Ems, where are you? We were worried about you.'
I heard a sigh on the other end of the phone. 'Everything's all right. I slept outside the house. Listen, could you...'
'What? Where have you been? At the guy who hit on you at the bar?'
'How do you know that?' Em was surprised.
'Have you forgotten I'm the sheriff's son?'
Emily laughed. What a wonderful sound.
'Yeah. No, I was with Lydia. Scott forgot about me, you didn't answer the phone so I went to her. It was closest to the bar.'
'But are you okay?'
'Aside from being totally soaked and I think I'm catching a cold, I'm fine. Sti, does your friend Mark still fix cars?'
'Yes, why do you ask?'
'I have to take my car to him. I can't rely on you guys all the time, especially now that Scott is a werewolf. The arm still won't heal.'
What? What arm? Alpha hurt her? I heard Derek growl. On me. What was his problem?
'Oh. We have to deal with that later. But back to the topic. Have you picked up your car?'
'Yeah, I had no choice Stiles. I need to finally break through that.'
'I'll text you the address. Pick you up from Mark?' 'Could you?'
'Of course. I'll be there soon.'
Stiles hung up. Before he could speak, Derek did it first.
'We're going there together. I need to see that hand.'
Why was Derek so worried about my sister? He didn't even care about me.

Emily's pov

I was standing with Mark by my car.
'I thought it was going to be worse. But from what I can see, I only have two windows to put in. I'll go over the whole car right away and check it out.' he said looking at me.
'Okay. Check if this door lock works. That's what I'm most interested in.'
'And I'm interested in you.'
I didn't expect that. I know guys like me but I didn't feel like dating. Before I could speak, someone pushed Mark away from me.
'The only thing I'm interested in right now is that you're supposed to fix my sister's car, not hit on her.' Scott snapped.
'Hey bro. It's a pity that yesterday you didn't come as soon as it rained and I had to walk back.' Scott's expression dropped. I asked Mark 'How much will it cost to fix?'
He looked at me angrily.
'Two thousand.' And he went to the workshop. I turned to Scott.
'Thanks. I would have had a discount if you hadn't scolded him. I haven't gotten paid at work yet.''
'Seriously, you would have let him pick you up for your car?
God, how blunt he was sometimes.
'Not a pick-up idiot. He's not my type. Flirt and that's it. Nothing more.''
'I don't understand girls, totally.'
'That's why I had one faster than you.'
I winked at him.
'That was a punch below the belt.'
I heard Derek's voice behind me. I don't know why but I was happy to see him.
'Hi,' I said smiling. 'What are you doing here?
'Apparently you have an injured shoulder? What happened? Wait...' he looked at my car. Then at his own. 'Is this your car?
'Yes, surprised?
'A little. It's the same as mine.'
I decided to play on Scott's nerves a little. A little payback for forgetting about me. I walked over to Derek and grabbed his jacket right next to his torso.
'Well, you see,' I began in a flirty tone, 'We have the same car, practically the same leather jackets.... Maybe we should have one bed too?'
I gave him a flick on the nose and before he had time to answer I ran to Stiles.