21. When they were shocked

'Derek is walking around angry, looking for the next person to turn into a werewolf. ' Scott said to Stiles.

They sat in the school cafeteria, both sad and distraught over the loss of their sister.

Scott didn't fully understand his sister's relationship with Derek, but since she started hanging out with him, she stopped doing drugs and was much happier and calmer.

She had her occasional emotional outbursts, but they were more related to the fact that she was a woman than to her trauma.

'We have to talk to him. He can't be running around town changing every teenager he meets on the street. ' Stiles said.

The boys looked around the cafeteria.

'Who's missing? '

'Boyd. '

They both got up from their seats.

***

'Just admit it, she was important to you and you're suffering from her loss as much as Stiles and I are! '

Scott yelled at Derek, covered in blood. Alpha punched him, breaking his jaw and sinking his claws into his chest, leaving an open wound.

They were at the rink when Alpha arrived with his Betas, Isaac and Erica. Scott defeated them easily, but had no chance against the much stronger Alpha.

Scott looked at Boyd standing in the corner of the rink.

'You don't want to be like them. ' he said to him.

Boyd nodded, lifting his shirt to reveal a fresh bite mark on his stomach.

'You're right. I do want to be like you. '

***

After beating Scott, Derek returned to his mother's house. He was angry at the whole world, at everyone in it.

Scott was right, he was suffering from the loss of his mate, but he didn't want to show it. Now, without her, it didn't make any sense anyway.

The only emotion and affection he showed was for Emily. The pain in his chest never stopped, his inner wolf howled in despair almost constantly.

Until the next day, the day of the funeral, his wolf was silent. It was still there, but no longer howling.

He acted as if Emily was still alive - he couldn't wait to see her and wanted to keep her close to him.

Derek left the room and went to the kitchen where his mother was preparing breakfast for them to eat before the funeral. When Talia looked at her son, she knew something was wrong.

'What happened? ' she asked anxiously.

'I don't know. When I went to bed last night, I couldn't fall asleep because my wolf was howling in despair. When I got up in the morning, he was no longer howling. ' he explained.

'You mean...'

'It was completely alive. My wolf can't wait to see her. That doesn't make sense. '

Talia was about to reply when her phone rang. Deaton. She answered it.

'You're not going to believe what happened, honey. ' Deaton said on the other end of the line.

'What's that? '

'They called me from the hospital. Emily's body is missing from the morgue. '

Talia looked at Derek in shock. His face said nothing.

'What do you mean? '

'The best part is that they checked the surveillance footage. You can see Emily coming out of the morgue alone and heading for the exit. '